Which workstation?

The Man Machine

Hello,

My name is Mike and I would like to make some music on a workstation, therefor my question.

It is about ease of use and not necessarily the best sounding synth.

Got two on the shortlist and am open to suggestions.

The Korg Krome 61 and Roland FA06 are the main contenders, am open to new as used.

Please keep in mind it is about ease of use without computer just as a stand alone workstation.

Thanks in advance, Mike

I have an FA-08 and love it.

Thanks for the reply.

For now it is FA06 vs FA08.

The FA08 is not only weighted but also is wider and I could put on some table top stuff (drum machine or VP-03) on there.

Just got a Roland SP808 and the FX imho alone are worth it.

Need some time to do some driving since it is 100miles from where I live I test out the instruments.

Last week of the month I got time and take a day for just a comparisson, the Korg I will aslo test out and Yamaha but they would have to really surprise me to not get a Roland workstation.

Cheers Mike

Good luck - you are doing the best thing by "test driving" them. I spent months vacillating between the Yamaha Mox and the FA-08. The FA was a bit more expensive, but in the end I am very happy with it.

Let us know what you end up with.

yuppers..

I have a Casio WK-3700, and a Korg TritonLE, and a Roland FA-08.

Each has "their sound", which isn't your primary focus? It's the sounds for me that help create the drive to make music.

The sequencer in the Roland isn't that great (easy). The sampler is not a true sampler and you can only play 4 pads at a time.

As far as price and easy, grab Reaper, a USB interface, and ANY midi keyboard and be happy.

Me? I needed quality sound and already had Casio & Korg. Choices left were Yamaha and Roland. I needed a weighted 88-key keyboard -- I chose Roland FA-08.

I will get back to Yamaha and their arps at a future date. The Integra-7 and a midi keyboard was also on my list.

I'm happy with the FA-08. I create a midi file and set the instruments. The FA-08 dumps .wav files which I grab into Reaper for mixing and mastering w/vocals.

Back