Who wants to help out a possibly hopeless newbie?? (drum software)

BigFlyingBooger

I have Drumkit from Hell in my possession as of this very moment. Now, how in the hell do I use it?

I thought that it was going to basically be its own drum software type of thing. I must have been mislead or something, because I didn't get anything like that. All I got was this prompt that might as well be a blue screen of death for me. Apparently, it's this thing that *looks* like it's supposed to alter the sound of each drum sample, and there's this keyboard at the bottom. This doesn't really do anything for me. It's crap. It's all crap!!!

I did a little bit of research on this dilemma. First, I tried hitting some FAQ's about Drumkit From Hell. Surely there would be *something* out there. I was pretty much wrong. I was left with reading the operation manual for that damn Kompact Instrument piece of crap that isn't really even an instrument at all!!! Dammit!!!

Then I realized that I have to use the drumkit samples with another program. The only help I received from these wretched writings were how to configure the drumkit for use with Cubase, Nuendo, or Logic. What about us Magix users? What can we do?

I'm acting like such a chick. I don't need to go on with all of these details and crap. Okay guys, here are the cliff notes:

- bought Drumkit From Hell 2; realized I need another program to use it
- Magix Music Studio Deluxe 7 is useless (as far as I know)
- Fruity Loops now in possession; need it to work right and be able to program odd time signatures
- i'm a numbnut

Soooo....who dares to help me??? :D

BigFlyingBooger said:
Soooo....who dares to help me??? :D

I'll dare, if I can get a little less colorful verbage and a few more facts. First, what are you trying to do? Play midi files or write original music or just see where this computer thing will take you?

Drums From Hell is a sample/loop CD set that need to be loaded into a soft sampler to work. You mention Fruity Loops and I know enough about that program to give you a one-paragraph overview of loading .wav files into the drum slots, but you need to get it going first. Also you mention 'odd time signatures' and Fruity Loops can do those too.

Post again or PM me when you're ready for my help...

ssscientist said:
I'll dare, if I can get a little less colorful verbage and a few more facts. First, what are you trying to do? Play midi files or write original music or just see where this computer thing will take you?

Drums From Hell is a sample/loop CD set that need to be loaded into a soft sampler to work. You mention Fruity Loops and I know enough about that program to give you a one-paragraph overview of loading .wav files into the drum slots, but you need to get it going first. Also you mention 'odd time signatures' and Fruity Loops can do those too.

Post again or PM me when you're ready for my help...

my purpose: write original music with awesome sounding drums

When you mention that fruity loops can do odd time signatures, are you referring 7/8, 11/16, and the like? I need it to do everything.

So what do I need to get going???

God I suck at this. :(

You need to get the Fruity Loops software properly installed and functioning on your computer before we can go any further. It doesn't have any unreasonable expecations of the latest OS or tons of RAM, so your computer shouldn't be a problem.

Get back to me when you're ready to go!

To my knowledge, it is properly installed and 100% functioning. I haven't received any error messages from trying to figure it out, so I guess it's all good. :D

I'll run thru loading the samples into the slots first. Left click on the name of the drum sound to the left of the row. A box will pop up on the right of the screen with small folder icon - left click on this folder and you will be presented with a system window entitled 'open sound file(s)'. Click the 'up' folder as many times as necessary to get to My Computer, then to the CD drive and you should be presented with Drums From Hell 2 in all it's glory. Simply click on a sound and that sound will be loaded into the slot. Repeat the process with the next slot until you've set up your dream kit.

You will find the time signature stuff under the Options menu - it's listed as
'project general settings'. You can set odd bar lengths, but one bar can't be one length and the next one another.

Last edited:
Oh noes, not another problem!!!

Okay, here it goes. I followed your instructions to find the drumkit library. I cannot see a single support sound file anywhere in the libraries subfolder or anywhere underneath it. I checked the cd itself for files, and there are files with an nki extention. I don't think FruityLoops supports it. :(

I also notice at the bottom of the popup menu that prompts for the filename, there is a place that you click on to play the sound file. It works with a few files that I have found from fruityloops kits and sounds, but not with others. It's the strangest thing. :confused:

Ah. So you need help with installing and operating the Native Instruments "special version" of Kompakt.

I saw the screenshot of the player they've provided you with and I agree that it has a pretty fierce look to it. But if it's like other NI applications you can use just as much as you need, in this case loading and saving various drum kits, without worrying AT ALL about the modulation section or just exactly what the 'free envelope' does.

Read the manual. Concentrate on getting a single sample loaded because it will come fully equipped with all the necessary settings of all of the on-screen controls. Then concentrate on the next drum sample. I would suggest the first one be a kick and the second a snare, then with the mouse and the vrtual keyboard (the one @ the bottom of the screen) or the keys on your computer keyboard you can tap out a rhythm.

And we're abandoning Fruity Loops for now. I had the mistaken idea that this was a CD of .wav files we were dealing with.

I left a good part of the story out of my last reply for the sake of brevity, and that part is once you get NI's Kompakt going it's a VSTi.

From your posts you already have an idea of what those are - midi instruments that conform to Steinberg's VST standard for plug ins and Fruity Loops can 'host' them, meaning you'll be able to use Fruity Loops to build songs with these awsome-sounding drums.

I'm here to help if you need me, but if you've decided you don't want to pursue this that's OK too ---

I'm in the same boat with the same software.

So what I'm getting from reading this is that the Kompakt software is something other than DKFH2 and FL, and needs to be installed as a mediary between the two?

I'd love to get these samples into Fruityloops... And love to think that I didn't just waste a pile of dough on software I can't use. :\

CQ-

Are you experienced at all with VSTi's? See my explanation above if you're not --- FL is capable of hosting VSTi's which is what the good folks @ DLFH have provided you with.

Read the FL documentation first, then load the plugin from the CD into the FL folder. Then load it into FL and save the result. FL calls it a 'VST Wrapper', and it's nothing more that a tiny piece of software that forms the bridge you referred to in your post between FL and the NI Kompact plugin.

Once you get this going you will be amazed at how easy it is...

search for "drum soundfonts" in google. these are banks/patches full of mapped samples. FL compatible too. Once downloaded, place in the proper directory (probably: ...fruityloops/samples/soundfonts/). Load em from the browser and enjoy.

Fruity Loops and DKFHell

Hey there, I'm new to here - but I know a thing or two (been programming pretty mean drum lines for 15 years as a NON-drummer), and also need help myself with this new fangled stuff...

Fruity Loops - a great one off, real quick drumline program with built in samples, easy modification of instruments, and nice mixing down to mp3's and other formats. Unfortunately for you who are looking for fancy time-signature manipulation, this is NOT the program for you. I am a big fan of in and out 7/8's, 5/4's, and other neat oddities, but FL isn't your tool for this. I've tried. Yes, you can make it an odd signature, but it's either the whole tune in 11/8, or nothing. Can't go in and out. It's a great program to just turn on and jam to to further ideas along and maybe record sections. Covering a Rush tune tho...no.

Drumkit From Hell (Superior) - I just got this program like a month ago, haven't used it yet...Correct, this is a program that works in tandem with other programs, from what I gather, like a drum brain module of an electric kit, on steriods. I'm not good at midi and stuff at all, but I keep trying, hitting and missing all the time. So here's my question:

I have a PC, Protools 001, electronic drum pads (Roland SPD-11 & extras), and DKFH Superior. I installed 9-friggin-DVD's worth of samples onto a new hard drive (35Gigs), and now I should be ready to try stuff out - only I can't find the manual anymore. From what I remember, it was relatively useless anyway, but I need to know what to do anyway to get it going in ProTools. Any help, PDF file, simple instructions of how to install it as a plugin would be appreciated.

Correct me if I'm wrong as well on this: I use DKFH by assigning pads to midi channels associated in ProTools, and that will be recorded as a midi event (velocity, curve, etc), which then gets played back using that recorded midi info & using the DKFH samples/brain as the sound? Am I super-off? Please advise and/or correct! Thanks all!...

bobbyz
bobbyz.com

bobbyz89 said:
I use DKFH by assigning pads to midi channels associated in ProTools, and that will be recorded as a midi event (velocity, curve, etc), which then gets played back using that recorded midi info & using the DKFH samples/brain as the sound? Am I super-off? Please advise and/or correct! Thanks all!...

You're not super-off. You've got the general idea, but instead of midi CHANNELS you will be sending midi NOTES from your drum pads. These notes will be triggered, recorded and played back on a single midi channel. For example, there will be one note for the kick drum, another for the snare and so on. The rest of the paragraph quoted above is dead on target - you understand the concept of midi much better than most of those who are new to it.

You won't need to involve FL in this process unless ProTools doesn't support VSTi's. And there must be SOME way to get a VSTi going in ProTools, no matter how 'above the fray' they want to pretend to view themselves...

As an aside -

If you struggle with creating interesting and realistic drum patterns, try Steinberg's Groove Agent. You can use its packaged drum samples, or you can send its midi output to a sampler.

I use it to trigger GigaSampler loaded with the DFH library.

Back