whats everyones favorite synth?

well, I don't have a whole bunch, really.

I have a Yamaha DJX, wich isnt a synth really but has some nice sounds, a Yamaha SK10 ensemble synth... wich is pretty cool (1980 or something) and a 1976 Crumar Jazzman "e-piano" (it's more like a synth)...

retro :cool: haha, I get down on my mellow soul-hiphop thing, ya dig :pw

and well, I'm still kinda looking for a cheap (virtual) analog hardware synth with a wider array of sounds...maybe a an1x, microkorg/ms2000 or so

Boards of Canada style worbles and drones for dance companies mainly. Although it was great for adding a unique sound on a cover of Velvet Undergrounds 'Sunday Morning'... it sounded messed up! :cool:

woow big question. One thing to bare in mind with the Juno is that it doesn't have midi... at all... not a bit!

The sounds are flexible but hard to get your mitts on. I hunted for months to find this beauty. May be easier / cheaper to go the soft synth route. Some are simply breathtaking now.

My thing is possably a bit wierd for your soul thing. I like nasty noises and things that sound wrong... through themt together correctly and it sounds right somehow. :rolleyes:

I don't care too much about MIDI, my crumar and yamaha don't have midi! :D and as for softsynths...I'm beginning to go more and more towards hardware stuff...

I heard that juno is pretty good for mellow chord stuff and (mostly) solid basses, is that true? I HAVE read about some hip hop producers using one...
How much did you pay for yours?

I'll go for anything that sounds warm and 70s/early 80s :D

I found mine for £70 and a 40 mile drive from some fella who had no idea how nice it was. :eek: :p :D :cool:

They are around but before you hunt one down you'd better know what it sounds like! It can sound beautifully mellow and warm. The bass too is rich. You can use pretty much anything creatively but this is just a world of sounds and gets a huge thumbs up from me!

Another "favorite" thread again... :D

Lately it's my Poly-61's (Analog=HIGH Maintainance, especially with all the humidity changes going on here right now). Screaching leads to serene pads, and everything in between. Of course with a Poly-61, you need to tweak the filters and amps on the actual voice card inside to really get the full potential of what a Poly-61 can do. I have one tweaked for real Resonant bass/dark pads, and the other tweaked for ear piercing leads/airy pads.

I've been keen on my DX-11 too (Although I'm not a huge fan of FM synthesis for anything other than ethereal pad type sounds).

Of course my N's and Karma are always fun.

I still love my Juno 106 (which is basically a Juno 6 with presets and MIDI).

My 1st synth was a Juno 6 - but they were about to come out with the Juno 60 (which had presets) so I traded up (the Juno 6 was a challenge on live gigs with no presets).

A few years ago I got rid of the Juno 60 and got a Juno 106 (for the MIDI).

The Juno 6 - Juno 60 is where I learned to "create sounds"

I'm not exactly in to synths, per se. I tend to like more natural sounding things.

I use Kurzweil products, but I have a Yamaha TX7 synth mod, which I love!
I'm also really diggin that new Clavia Nord Stage Piano 88 that's due out. It looks awesome.

Not a lot of synth users here? Well I only have an Sh-3 and a Juno 6. Personally I like the Juno 6. It was affordable and its been extremely reliable, never any problems. Big bass, nice rich pads, great organs. It actually does very realistic electric bass and organ tones, on top of all the weird synthy robot noises it can do. Great beginner synth.

Mo-Kay

If your question was directed to the presets I mentioned on the Juno 60 or Juno 106. While the presets come with pre-programmed sounds, all presets can be overwritten with user sounds.

The Juno 6 is a great synth, but you can't store any sounds. The Juno 60 & 106 allow storing (if I recall 8 banks with 8 "patches" each - for a total of 64 user programmed (stored) sounds.

RolandSuper Jupiter. I just *love* that synth, and have been watching for one at a decent price for a while.

Back