What midi keyboard controller?

Paul881

Look Mom, I can play!
This is my first post on this forum, but I am looking for some help.

I am a one finger keyboard player that will use a keyboard as a midi controller for soundfonts to record onto Sonar. I am looking for an inexpensive controler for my setup.

I have narrowed my choices to:

1) Evolution 249C 49 keys and 10 assignable rotary knobs + USB

2) Evolution 361 61 keys, no assignable knobs.+USB

3) Roland PC 300 49 key.+USB

All pretty much the same price. Is the USB port option transparent to midi playing. What are the advantages/disdvantages of using USB over midi I/O?

All advice greatly appreciated.

I searched before posting and read that thread, it was pretty supportive of the Evolution, especially krakit's post.

Atwork, I saw the Dance station in my research, that might have been okay just for me but my Daughter plays piano and so she needs a better instrument. Also, from time to time, I might need to use a k/b player to help me out with a track so will need more of a keyboard.

I am confused though by the USB vs Midi interface spec. Whats the difference between them? And how important are the midi controller knobs? The Roland and the 361C doesn't have them.

My computer has USB inputs and my soundcard has midi so I can use either. Which is the best?

Some advice:

1. Get a keyboard with Midi Controller knobs
2. Get a keyboard with Midi Controller knobs
3. Get a keyboard with Midi Controller knobs
4. Get a keyboard with Midi Controller knobs and
5. Get a keyboard with Midi Controller knobs.

The Controller knobs can allow you to alter the various settings (filter, resonance, attack, etc) on a synth while you play. Otherwise, you'd have to do it with a mouse or another dedicated MIDI controller. Believe me, even for non-keyboard players, it can add a whole new dimension to the sounds you can produce.

Thanks Sean, looks like it will be a keyboard with knobs then:D

So the Evolution 249C key with controller is favourite then. I would use a synth from time to time, so your advice is relevent.

The 361 was my favourite but I can't see any reference to midi controller knobs for the 361 on their web site. And their quickstart pdf manual says that only the 249C has twelve rotory knobs.

Ahhhh.....that will be the new mk 361C then, and not the MK-361.

Looks like its a done deal then, I wonder when they'll be releasing it?

Thanks again for the advice, Sean.

Back