what line mixer to get for playing live?

webbsc

wondering what type of line mixers everyone is using for playing live. I went from using one keyboard thru a DI box to go thru our snake to our mixing console. I added another keyboard and once they come out with the motif es rack I am going to add that also....but want to submix. Right now I am using a spare behringer board that I had and going out the xlr out to the snake (basically to submix my keyboards)...but would like to purchase a single rack space unit that I can put in my rack (I sing and play saxophone and use wireless units and they are in a rack...when I get the motif rack it'll be in there to..._)anyway, did some searching on ebay and only could find units with trs outs...but no rack mounts w/ xlr outs. Any ideas. I could by an adapter plug...but playing live and hooking up fast and tearing down fast...those adapters always seem to get lost...please help.

I play mono live so I use an old 8 channel Peavey XRD-680 Mixer it has 8 xlr outs as well as 8 unbalanced. I run a cable from the monitor out to the snake.

Cheers,
Ben

I just picked up a Yamaha MG10/2 and for $100 it's one sweet mixing console. They also offer larger boards for extra inputs and routing flexibilty if 10 isn't enough. The 3-band EQ is even functional, who'd believe it?

go and get 1 mackie lm3204 at ebay u can find very nice conditions at 300 usd. really the mixer for mixing keyboards.

some samson there but lot of noise.

u really gonna like the mackie, cuz when u plug a click u can bus so easy to your drumer.

btw alesias have 1 model can remember the model is zonemix 6 is a 1 rack, and have lots of options too even a tables preamp if i remember.

http://alesis.com/products/zonemix6/index.html
http://www.mackie.com/products/lm3204/

but my vote is for the mackie i had one for the last 6 years and is so great just lil big (4 spaces) .

check the soundcraft compac models compac 4 and compac 10 only bad thing is they aren rack mixer but u always can have a pop up mixer rack :)

The keyboard line mixer you need is made by Yamaha and is called the MV-802. It's an 8 channel mixer in two rack spaces, and has both 1/4 and XLR outputs. So you can run the XLR's to the house board and the 1/4 outs to your amp.

The MV-802's go real cheap on eBay (under $100), but just be careful that you get one in good condition. They are work horses and tend to get beat up pretty bad sometimes. They are golden though, great little mixers for exactly what you need. I have one myself.

If you really need one rack space then there's a line mixer made by Rane called the SM-82. This one would be my choice if the one rack space limit is an absolute requirement. I doubt it has XLR's, and it doesn't have mic preamps like the MV-802 does.

Another one space that is no longer being made is the Roland M-120. If you can find one of those in good shape it would be decent, although I found the Roland M-120/160/240 mixers to not have very much heardroom. I used to own a 160 and 240.

In general, finding XLR outs on a one rack space unit is going to be tough if not impossible. Simply becuase of space limitations on the hardware itself. Look at how much space a bunch of 1/4" connectors take up, then add an aux send or two, stereo fx returns, master outs. There's no space left over for XLR's. So if you really really want the XLR's then you need to go with a 2 space or larger design like the MV-802. Otherwise, deal with the adapters.

Samson

Still using a Samson PL2404 if you can find them...
Granted it's TRS inputs... But I have mine rigged in the rack with DBoxes to just plug them in... And contrary to popular belief - It's QUIET... 24 Stereo Channels 2 sub outs... Very nice... Gave the LM3204 from Mackie quite a run for it's money.. You'd pay almost 700.00 new for the mackie... You'd only lose 4 channels and the Samson was only 299.00...

You'll have to find a used one... The only new Samson Rack mixer out there is the PL1204(?) I think... This one DOES have low impedance outputs... But I'm not sure about the price or the amount of inputs... I think it's near that 300.00 pricepoint, though as well...

Good Luck

line mixer to use when live?

We use In-ear Monitors for the band and have a monitor board and also a FOH console (32 channel mackie)...i will need at minium six inputs, have seen the mv-802 and was leaning that way, also saw something from alesis that looked pretty interesting.

Yeah, if you can go two rack spaces you get a few more options like an fx send or two, XLR outs, bigger controls. Alesis does make that 12 channel rack unit. I've not used it, but it would be one to consider.

MV-802's are great though. I especially like the VCA control over the master output, which is how I use mine. I hook up the Yamaha FC-7 volume pedal to the pedla input on the MV-802, and control the master volume that way. It's good because then I can totally program the keyboard mix into the patches, since I'm not using control 7's to do that. Very handy.

Back