What expression pedal?

inkline

I'm setting up a return for a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal. Isn't compatible with my keyboard -- I knew it didn't work with most, but I read about a polarity reversing trick using two adapter cables that I thought would make it work.

Well it didn't. It's a pedal with a huge range of motion, but without the smoothness that should go along with it --- you have to make minute adjustments or it jumps around like crazy, because of its compatibility issues. I wasn't going to open it up and solder a resistor into it and be unable to send it back if that failed, so off it goes.

Now I have to look at expression pedals again. I'm hoping to find one with a decent range of motion so you can make sensitive adjustments, and hopefully something that hinges on the end, rather than a few inches up.

Anyone have one they like, like that?

I'm also looking up software solutions before sending it back. A simple plugin to adjust the midi I could pass it through would be a nice find.

Expression pedals can be a PITA I do like my FC7's...far from perfect but one of the better ones out there.

You didn't mention what controller / keyboard you are using, many times you can go into the keyboard software and reverse the polarity. I have opened up FC7's and just unsoldered and reversed the wires then soldered back.. No one would be the wiser if you did this and it didn't work which it may not...just reverse again before you send it back.

The easiest way is to simply look up the keyboard you are using and there should be a list of compatible expression pedals

Ah, well, I've just ordered a replacement for my main keyboard, it hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully the pedal will work with it. The keyboard I have now that it doesn't work on is the Keystation 88. Has a nice light touch, and came with the great Sonivox 88 piano, but figured it was time I upgraded from my beginner keyboard to something that gave me more control. I do a lot with orchestral instruments and want more control over all the microphone position levels, so I ordered a Swissonic 88, hope it works well, couldn't try it out beforehand. Got a ton of sliders in easy reach and aftertouch.

I bought two little adapter cables that fit together and switch the polarity for me, I was expecting that to work for the Keystation but no. However I've been asking around and even if the pedal doesn't work with the new keyboard too, I potentially might be able to get it to with a device called MIDI Expression from Audiofront. Let's you pass your pedals through it and change their sensitivity to suit as far as I can tell, I am reading up.

Sigh, there goes more $$!

I have had reasonable success with an Ernie Ball VPJr and a TRS>Dual TS "insert" cable. The pedals themselves have taper switch inside. I have a bunch of modules that I ripped out of a patchbay - 4 TRS jacks half-normalled together on a convenient PCB. It's pretty easy to cut traces and solder on resistors as necessary.

IDK what DAW you're on. In Reaper there are a number of ways to manipulate the controller data depending on what you're trying to control.

If you've got a spare hardware input and output on your interface, you could send a square wave or something out at a given level, through the pedal, back in, then use that input to modulate whatever you want. There would be all kinds of things you could do to adjust the curve and range. Course, if your DAW doesn't let you do those things... ;) (You could use your current pedal for this, with the right adaptifications.)

I would totally consider the FCB1010. You get two expression type of pedals plus bunch of programmable foot switches and 2 relay contacts. It's considered affordable as well.

Back