using guitar amps with keyboard?

bledredwine

Is it ok for me to use my 100 watt tube amp with 4x12 cabinet with an S80 or other keyboard?

I already have a B-52 AT-100 and can't afford buying another amp, but I don't want to ruin this (wonderful) amp.

What would be reasonable if I am not performing loud music? Would the AT-100?

It is not uncommon to run organ sounds through a guitar amp to get an overdrive sound (ie: Deep Purple). The main thing to consider is what sounds you will be using.

Keyboards can go from shimmering highs to rumbling lows - which is why dedicated keyboard amps/combos normally have maybe a 6" and a 15" speaker.

If you are using mostly organ sounds or some general pad sounds - then you could probably get by with what you have. If you plan to use piano sounds, brass sounds, etc a dedicated amp would work better.

That being said - if you keep the volume low enough so you're not overdriving the amp, you may be fine. We all have to use what we've got to create the best music we can - if you can't afford another amp, then try what you have.

An option would be to use the amp as a stage monitor and then run a signal to your PA for the room sound.

the only real problem is running it into open back cabs (not an issue for your 4-12") i'm only adding this for others that are considering it... you'll never get good bass outta an open back... so the tendency is to push it harder...and harder... till it farts and maybe goes up in flames...

I used an old Peavey KB100 with my S80...kicked very well. 15" bass driver and closed back of course. I still use it live with my Motif 8 and it still works very well for me.

I've never had luck with anything under a 15" bass driver in amps for keys. I'm not familiar with the amp you have, but a guess would be that you might not get what you expect to from it running keys through it. Don't know - just a guess from my experiences with smaller driver amps.

I'm pretty sure there's no risk to the amp itself, but if you start pumping tons of low end through, you're risking the welfare of your speakers.

Just like running a bass through a guitar amp.

I'm pretty sure there's no risk to the amp itself, but if you start pumping tons of low end through, you're risking the welfare of your speakers.

Just like running a bass through a guitar amp.

the only issue running bass through a guitar amp is ...

A. it's a combo... see discussions above about open back cabs..

B. the tone controlls are voiced for guitar so you may not be able to dial it in as well...

as to pumping tons of lowend blowing things that could be said for any amp at some point....

i once saw a 300 wt EV 15L voice coil shoot across a room from being driven hard buy a crest 9001...

Back