Underappreciated Synths?

Todzilla

What are your favorite synths that have an unduly deserved bad or non-existent rep?

Mine would be the Roland MKS-7 Super Quartet. Essentially a three part multi-timbral Juno-106 with a 606 Drum Machine integrated. Hostile user interface, but those luscious squishy sounds are all in there!.

Also, the Peavey Spectrum Organ. This ROMpler sounds grrrreat, especially when you defeat the phony Leslie and effects and put it through a real rotating horn. I make sure my snobby musician friends hear it first before showing them what it really is.

Casio SK-1. It's a great little sampling synth from like 1989. I love it. It's got the cheesiest sounds, and it can sample. I just checked and they are going for $50-$75 on ebay so I guess they may not be underappreciated.

Juno 106. Wish they still made vca/vco chips for these suckers. I'm looking for a dead one to cannabalize. I love the mono mode with portamento - for those Edgar Winter/Jan Hammer lead sounds.

Todzilla said:
I have to quibble with supercreep. The Juno106 is hardly underappreciated. It's pretty much de rigeur for house/dub music.

LOL, I thought your sig said "internet massage therapist". I was like, damn - what a great idea. BTW, you're really tense today. That will be $30.00.

I suppose you're right about the 106, however in the circles I run in, I've got the only one.

If'n you give me another chance, I'll suggest the Sequential Circuits Six-Track....

I have a Juno-106 in my possession, unfortunately it's only on loan from a family member (could be worse).

It's got a scratchy input, I'd love to remedy it as a surprize before I bring it back.

Anyone know a way of fixing this at home? Or is taking it apart (not me of course) necessary?

sorry to divert the conversation.

what a great thread,.mine are the alesis qs6, this synth has it all weighted keys,rhodes wurlitzers leads ready for pc. very very nice piece i got it used 4 years from guitar ctr.for $200
,also the yamaha djx,.mark my humble words,this synth will be if not already,.a classic piece to have ,.they are going for high prices now,.and yes the cz,and the sk,i bought them new in 86,.

I have 2
Korg Poly 61: Really awesome sounds period!!!
Yamaha MR-1: A console organ (Cheesy FM), but a blast to play (I learned to play on mine and have had it for 22 years so I gues I'm a little partial).

Okay...I have a keyboard that isn't that well-known but I think is cool. It is a Yamaha V-50. It came out around 1989 (I bought mine used in '94)...It is a 4-operator FM synth (what a book I have describes as DX21 style)...I didn't know what I was buying (the Korg M1 and others had brought sampled-sound technology into popularity) but it sounded impressive to me at the time and it had a 8-track sequencer and disk-drive (things I was advised to look for). It also has a distinct percussion/drum machine (with sampled drum sounds) that syncs up with the main sequencer...and an effects processor to put icing on the cake. I had my hands full learning how to use it...the sounds don't blow me a way now (especially the drum-set sounds like the hi-hat and snare) but in the hands of a programmer-type I know it could make some unique sounds. I liked/like it overall because it has everything one needs in one box to make a finished instrumental song...I think maybe it was one of the first workstations (before they called them "workstations").

synth

Loved the strings on my poly 800.Was my first keyboard and being able to mess with the parameters of the voices so easily helped me gain an understanding of how the sounds work.VCF,decay,release etc... I am currently cleaning up a Moog Opus 3 I've had for years to use in my home recordings. Great for pulse beats, blips,beeps, whistles, wind etc... Sliders give you flexibility with your sounds. Pj

I had an ARP SOLUS during the 80's seen. Had 2 ocsillators and portamento.
I loved that synth, wish I hadn't sold it when I joined the Navy back then.
:(

Attachments

• arp_solus.jpg
    arp_solus.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 411
Back