Underappreciated Synths?

dendanna said:
Why do I see the juno106 a few times here, I dont believe that one is underappreciated at all
Sadly in this day and age of high-tech hardware, and the mind-boggling number of available software synths (Especially the Emulations), a good majority of the classics are falling into the under-appreciated category. I guess it's up to the "Old-Guard of Analog" to carry the torch for as long as we can.

my vote goes to the realistic (radio shack) concertmate mg-1 made for radio shack my moog music in the early 80s. i've found that it's often dismissed as a poor-man's moog rogue, which is definitely not the case; it's a sweet synth.

bgavin said:
My vote goes to the Alesis NanoSynth for live performance work. Mine is fully controllable by setting presets on my Hammond XK2.
Those are pretty inexpensive, and the QS6 sounds aren't half bad. I might have to look into one.

Sequential circuits prelude

Sequential circuits prelude -its a string synth - but you kick up the brass with high rez and the swell on - she gets fat

Poly-800

I dig my Poly-800 so much that I took it apart and didi filter mod on it after 10 years of ownership. It really has a great simple organ tone if you like. Good bass sounds can be had also. It's definitely analog with real cheesy digital parameter editing.

Downside - Frustrating to program, Tape or audio file data backup, will dump all of it's patches in a heartbeat if you try to send a lot of MIDI data into it at once.

Upside - Cheap, Fat, Moddable, Analog BBD Chorus, Built in Cheese sequencer, Joystick to combine two modulators at once.

Todzilla said:
What are your favorite synths that have an unduly deserved bad or non-existent rep?

Mine would be the Roland MKS-7 Super Quartet. Essentially a three part multi-timbral Juno-106 with a 606 Drum Machine integrated. Hostile user interface, but those luscious squishy sounds are all in there!.

Also, the Peavey Spectrum Organ. This ROMpler sounds grrrreat, especially when you defeat the phony Leslie and effects and put it through a real rotating horn. I make sure my snobby musician friends hear it first before showing them what it really is.

ARP 2600 and the Odyssey.

Mine...

Peavey DPM3 / or DPM4 Heavy duty boards that got little recognition because of the name... Killer sounds for the time...

Lastly, Yamaha W7 - Just got one... No one really knows much about them... AWESOME boards... Powerful with excellent sounds...

Roland JD800 is super-tweakable with all those dedicated faders and buttons, and when you add on all the effects (i think it's 8 on a single patch), you can really add some flavor to the sound. I fall in love with it almost everytime i use it! Too bad the filter sounds like ass to me, moreso with resonance :(

-marcus

roland mc 307. for the price of a used one, the sounds are great and plenty (best for drums and percussive fills, effects).. it's missing some things that would make it more appreciated (no external memory mainly) but it's a great addition to any setup.. also, using it as a master bpm clock the pitch fader works great with using it to mix with a non-midi environment (just like the 909) i've used the 307 and a 505 together mixed over one guy playing records, and another guy playing a mc 909 run rig, and it was easy to stay on beat with the fader.. works like a turntable. only useable really if this is within your realm of operations probably.

all the roland grooveboxes have some nice things to offer, but i see where the complaints about them are valid as well (using as a standalone is very limiting) but as a tool to a bigger picture setup they are a great value.

'
Can’t say favorite, but for sake of this topic

WSA-R and WSA1 from Technics.

Although received more then good reviews from most of the press, user side was a different story.

Had Matsushita (Panasonic) decided to create a new name under Technics house for these new line of instruments, I’m certain they would attract more serious attention to this products.

Capable of creating some very unique and distinctive sounds.

Since those who were targeted with this synth were sadly not the owners, but mostly those of less experience with synthesis as such...had hard time dealing with WSA’s way of modeling.

So after creating slim or no result at all in attempt of making new sounds, most of the users would skip this machine. Probably manual was one of the parties to blame, cause it didn’t seriously address capabilities of this machine. Keyboard version is beyond average keyboard that really shines.

Sequencer is highly complex and also not for average user.
Very useful and good machines.

Most of the default sounds are missing that fullness at the bottom, but this was hardly the rule for all.

Back