Top 4 Synthesizer Question

Kaulback

-Kurzweil 2600XS
-Yamaha Motif ES8
-Korg Triton Extreme 88
-Roland Fantom X8

Ok now, I know alot of people have made topics on these 4 synths and how they compare, and from what I've seen generally the Motif or Kurzweil are considered 'the best' while Triton is third and the Fantom is last, but unfortunately my question is just different enough to need a new topic, but not different enough to not be annoying. Sorry.

My question:
I'm looking for a synthesizer that can serve my purposes best. I'm going to be forming a cover band in the future and therefore, I can give you some samples of the kinds of sounds I'm going to need. The band has used the Triton Pro and Kurzweil 2600XS before, and never the Fantom or Motif, but there is virtually no information on the net about what modules they use, so that may mean next to nothing. What I'm really looking for is the best keyboard both for hardware and software out of the four, and then if that happens to be the best for my synth and patch needs, great, if not, maybe I should be looking at a rack of one of the other three.

Here are some sound samples of the kind of and synths I'm going to need, I'd like to know:

-Which keyboard has the best overall interface, sequencer and keys (these are all 88 fullweight versions remember) if I could only pick one?
-Does that give me most of the sounds I need? If not, which module of the other three would fix me up with the synths I need?

-Samples from songs by the band-
Samples coming soon, within the half-hour, I'll edit with them, I just think maybe there will be some answers that don't even need me to be specific on the type of music ie "Fantom=Bad" etc etc

Korg Triton Extreme 88=My pic of the 4. Touch Display is the best out there if you ask me. Ultra-flexible. The tube rocks this machine!!!

Yamaha Motif ES8=Nice sounds, MLAN

Kurzweil 2600XS=Bit overpriced, but excellent sound libraries by the dozens

Roland Fantom X8=Only played maybe 20-30 minutes, but sounds good, love the pads, pictures on the color display are annoying. SRX boards are nice.

Yeah today in the local shop I tried out the Fantom and Triton, and I daresay I fancied the Fantom...it's that damn D-Beam I tell you :( But I won't trade in a D-Beam for what keyboard will serve me best, besides the AX-7 (the one keyboard I'm 100% decided on getting) has one. They had a Motif ES6 and a Kurzweil 2600XS but they weren't hooked up to speakers so trying them was relatively pointless...Samples of sounds that the module or keyboard I decide upon needs will be uploaded momentarily, they're a bit long so if you are impatient feel free to kind of skip through them...

Needed Sounds For Cover Band
^Alright here they are, the question is do any of those four keyboards have most/all of these sounds (well not them exactly but you know what I mean something that will pass as that sound, it's a cover band not an album re-recording, but the closer to those sounds the better)? I'm quite sure between everybody here there is enough knowledge on the sounds to get some sort of answer. Thanks for any help in advance. :D

Well remember your talking about the "Big 4" here. They all more or less include about every sound you'll ever need. If they don't they possess enough synthesis architecture to create the sounds from scratch, or you can sample the sounds into any of them. More or less it needs to be a choice of wether or not the workflow of the machine works for you, and which sound set sounds sweetest to your ear. Its a very individual thing. Me I like the Yamaha Pianos, but I feel their strings are week. Korg has really nice strings and organs, Roland has nice organs and pads, Kurzweil has nice brass. It is possible for all 4 to achieve your needs. But the manner in which they'll do it will vary greatly. I can only recommend, you take a couple of hours at local music store, and really go through them. Tell the sales guy to get those keyboards hooked up to an amp if he wants to make a sale, and put them to the test. I'll leave you with this: Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton, Triton...

TRITON!!!

One more quick question, out of all the Triton models with 88 keys, the Extreme is the 'most superior' correct? I mean it's confusing enough with these 4 but if it becomes like 6, 3 of which are Tritons... :(
But yeah I think so, Triton came, then Triton Workstation, then Pro and finally Extreme (I don't count LE since I'm looking for the best and it's basically the cheap version). Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Feanor IV said:
Just for the sake of asking, how much do this things cost...? :D
They're basically the top 4 on the market, if you put a bunch of keyboardists in a room most of them would think one of these 4 were the best on the market...therefore expensive. Last time I checked the Fantom X8 will set you back $2800, Motif ES8 and Triton Extreme 8 cost about 3 grand, and a Kurzweil 2600XS costs a whopping 3-4K.

Last edited:
Kaulback said:
One more quick question, out of all the Triton models with 88 keys, the Extreme is the 'most superior' correct? I mean it's confusing enough with these 4 but if it becomes like 6, 3 of which are Tritons... :(
But yeah I think so, Triton came, then Triton Workstation, then Pro and finally Extreme (I don't count LE since I'm looking for the best and it's basically the cheap version). Correct me if I'm wrong here.
And now on zZounds the Korg Studio 88 costs more than the Korg Extreme 88? I thought the Extreme was an upgrade from the Studio :confused:

I have a Korg Triton and a Kurzweil K2600, and if I had to live with just one, it would be the Kurzweil. Hands down. That's why I have BOTH a K2600 and a K2500 :D

I am not a huge fan of the Fantom - it has some nice pads, agreed, but it is not a synth I would choose as an overall synth. If I had spare cash, I would pick it up for some added flavor, but.....

I did like the Yamaha Motif line, and I will probably pick up a Motif rack in the future (I really have no need for the ES8).

My $0.02 and *my* opinion FWIW...

Well, I'll put it this way. At this point I'm a Kurzweil guy. In my opinion, the Kurzweil products offer some of the best sounds--they just feel and sound real.

When I was looking into buying a keyboard the last time around, I had done a great deal of reading about the Triton, but then I actually heard it. I was quite disappointed with the piano samples. It just doesn't sound like it should.

I chose Kurzweil because I do a great bit of musical theatre, and the Kurzweil line (PC2 & 2600) is what the broadway musicians use. After hearing these keyboards on national touring companies, I was sold!

BTW, the Kurzweil 2600s feature tone wheel organ synthesis, something I don't think the other keyboards offer.

Also, don't be fooled! You can easily get a new K2600X on eBay for around $2000. I purchase all my Kurzweil products on eBay, and they're all brand new and much less than the Kurzweil suggested price.

I'm a fan of Yamaha stuff. The quality is always there - at least in my experiences. I own an S80 and am still in love with it. We still haven't got to third base, but.... :D I've played the new Motif ES8 and loved that one too. Spent about two hours with it in a local store. Most likely, it could replace my S80. Not in the immediate future though.

I like Kurzweil stuff too, but would agree what perhaps their pricing hasn't always been the best. Now though, it seems as though it's for the most part on par with other manufacturers.

The only Korgs I've ever owned are the M1, O5R/W, and Triton classic. I miss my M1, but that's another story. The Triton classic was pretty kicking, but it seemed geared towards pads and "one finger" compositions. Haven't played the new extremes yet, doubt I will.

Roland, well I've owned and XP-80 and that's about it. Tried out the Fantoms in the recent past, and wasn't blown away. I'll leave you with this: Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha.

But for the records, I always hunt down boards in local stores and spend some time with them before deciding and purchasing. I love Yamaha's weighted keyboard action.

Triton Studio is actually the top dog of the Tritons, as far as overall features. The Extreme is more like the "Sound Designer/Live Performer" version. It includes tons more sounds stock (All of which are available to the other Tritons but require expansion cards), and has the tube, but lacks the more studio specific features (which are available as upgrades). It is definitely geared more towards the live performer.
I wouldn't waste no more time, just get the Triton (Any Triton is worth it, but I'd go with the Extreme)

Atterion said:
Triton Studio is actually the top dog of the Tritons, as far as overall features. The Extreme is more like the "Sound Designer/Live Performer" version. It includes tons more sounds stock (All of which are available to the other Tritons but require expansion cards), and has the tube, but lacks the more studio specific features (which are available as upgrades). It is definitely geared more towards the live performer.
I wouldn't waste no more time, just get the Triton (Any Triton is worth it, but I'd go with the Extreme)
Well I'm far from decided but if it's a Korg it'll be an Extreme because I'm a live-only player (at least for now ;) )

KAULBACK, I am in the same boat as you. I am looking for a keyboard I can gig with. I plan on going to the music stores this week to try them out.
I play guitar and keyboards in my band. I need good sounding horns, strings, electric piano and organ. I've been using a Korg PA80. It's not really a live performance type keyboard. If the other Korgs use the same sound engine, I won't be purchasing a Triton. The brass sounds real bad on my PA80. Everything else is pretty good. I am going to look hard at the Kurzweil 2600.

I thought the cheap tubes in the Triton Extreme muddied the sound even more than a normal Triton is.

I'm not a big fan of the Triton series though. In fact, I'll be honest here, I think they pretty much suck. To each their own I guess.

However, I'd A/B an Extreme versus a regular Triton... because I'm not buying this tube gimmick adding positively to the sound. I think it's hype. To me it sounded worse than usual.

Gimmick about sums it up. Nice pretty tube with a clear window to stare at it through. I played one myself not too long ago - I wasn't impressed.

I just found out that the Kurzweil K2661 was in existance...this is the answer to all my problems if the answer to the following question is A...

Is the K2661 related to the K2600 in every way save the keys?

A: Yes. Same relationship as a Fantom X6 and X8
B: No. It's a dumbed down version with a relationship kind of like the Fantom X6 and XA.

I've played with all the keyboards at the local shop and everything you guys have told me about these 4 boards, combined with my own experiences have made me decide on a K2600XS...but since a nonweighted synthaction 61 key keyboard is vital in my setup I was looking at getting a 61 Key MIDI Controller ($$$). If the K2661 is some sort of step down from the K2600XS than I don't know which way to go...K2661 or K2600XS + MIDI Controller... =S

The k2661 is a 2600 with adat, a smartmedia slot, and 61 unweighted keys.

It is definitely *not* a step down, unless you NEED 88 keys and weighted key action. Since you specifically do NOT, then this is an excellent choice for you.

Another plus is that it weighs a heck of lot less than other models.

Have fun!

Back