Thoughts on the Akai MPK49?

Boeing77W

I've been trying to hunt down a MIDI keyboard for studio and maybe live use with Ableton Live, and recently I found a listing for a used MPK49 for $250 Canadian Dollars. I have yet to see a new MIDI keyboard at the same price that seems just as good, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I just want to know how the MPK49 compares to controllers that are currently on the market since it is indeed an older model.

Prior to seeing this listing I had my eye on the M-Audio Code 49 ($400 CAD) and Alesis VI49 ($280 CAD), but both of them are slightly too long to fit on my desk with the drum pads on the side. The Akai seems to be able to fit perfectly in my current desk setup.

So far it appears that the Akai lacks the ability to split zones like the Code 49, but I'm not exactly sure about that and I probably won't need it. Also, I'm aware of the stiff pads that come with the MPK49, an issue that can be easily fixed with a pad sensitivity kit from eBay. If there's anything else important that I should know before purchasing the MPK49 please let me know! Thanks

In my opinion, it's pretty much Akais game - going back to the qy-300, and the like. Controllers aren't equal as far as the purpose goes. There are sit-down people and stand-up performing people.

I look at Akai for a starting point with MIDI gear, quite often. I'm not into the DAW integration, so much, but I have a cheap Alesis q25 and a M-audio Trigger finger pro that I expect to last a long time (the m-audio can get flakey - the lights go out)

I'd give the mpk49 a shot - size matters and it's got aftertouch

Personally, I'd avoid M-Audio... They seem to regularly abandon support for their product lines and to me that shows that they see them (and us as users) as disposable.
The MPK looks decent enough and Akai have been making good midi-boards for some time.
Desk real-estate is definitely an important thing to factor in (a lot of people don't even consider it).

I'm a big fan of novation myself and although I'm not an Ableton user I think it's definitely worth pointing out the close relationship Ableton and Novation have cultivated over the years... Worth checking out Novation if you're a Live user imo...

What do you think of the Alesis VI49 then? It's the other one that I'm considering and it seems to be able to fit on my desk if I get stands for my speakers.

I use a Novation Ultranova as a controller for other synths, but with all the DAW controller software included these days I've looked at them and didn't find a need for it. Novation can Rock when given a chance. Nice keybed, but I like the old Kawai better for everyday keybed.

I got a ton of Akai, but none of it from this Century ! hahah

The Alesis product page doesn't say much about integrating the DAW controller functions ? I'd look for user comments on that ? I don't think the Alesis is a bad first choice.

I have an MPK25. It feels very solid and well put together. I'm not exactly a keyboard player, but I like the feel of the keys. They have a heavier action than I am used to, it's something I recommend you try before you buy. Also:

Also, I'm aware of the stiff pads that come with the MPK49, an issue that can be easily fixed with a pad sensitivity kit from eBay.

I'm not so sure about the "easy fix". Maybe the kit is a lot better, but I tried a DIY upgrade and the pads are still horrible if you compare them to something like Maschine. Sure, you can bang in kicks and snares, but if you want any kind of sensitivity for hi-hats or anything else it's not a great experience.

Back