Synth vs. Workstation: What's the difference?

sjaguar13

I am looking at upgrading my 1980 Casio (I know you're are jealous). I see two categories, Synths and Workstations. What is the difference?

Hey sjaguar13, I got a Casio in 1983 for $500...It was built like a tank but it would sound pretty lame today (I guess the piano and organ on it wasn't that bad), at least I didn't need a manual to play it.

My take on the difference between a Synth and a Workstation: Each keyboard has a different set of features but roughly I would say a Synth mostly just has sounds while a Workstation has sounds plus other goodies (like maybe a sequencer, effects, or a diskdrive). The idea behind the workstation is that you can do many things musically using one instrument (without the need for other equipment), perhaps even taking a song from concept to finished product on just the workstation.

Technically a workstation is a synthesizer in which you can produce complete musical tracks on via the synthesizer, sequencer and multi-effects units. Examples of workstations include: Korg M1, Korg 01/W, Korg Triton, Kurzweil K2500, Kurzweil K2600, and so on.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Technically a workstation is a synthesizer...

When I searched through workstations, it brought up things like The Something Synthesizer. I guess I am looking for a synth. I don't really want to produce a whole song on a keyboard.

Most synths now days are workstations as the norm. The more features of course the higher the price. You could get a Triton LE that's probably the cheapest out. But if your looking to upgrade later get something else. I know sometimes you think yeah this is all I need and then kick yourself in the behind when you want to upgrade and you can't. I did that with a PC. Just make sure it's going to suit your needs.

bsr2002 said:
Most synths now days are workstations as the norm.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with that statement. There are more synths that AREN'T workstations than are. Each of the big three (Roland, Korg, Yamaha) have a workstation series- Roland=Fantom, Korg=Triton, Yamaha=Motif, but most of their other offerings are not workstations. The smaller manufacturers like Novation, Nord or Moog don't offer workstations at all.

Ted

Workstations have been out ever since home recording got good with low cost digital/software media.

They're still out there, but not in the ubiquitous sense they were in the early 90's.

Back