synth monitoring issue

airbag76

Hi

My present configuration is:

a. a rather typical bedroom studio about 4x3m
b. a basic pc, display, pair of speakers left - right for mixing (passive spirit absolute 2, 6.5") set up
c. a modular synth placed on my back (50-60cm) and a quite off center (my desk is Π shaped with my pc on right vertical and the synth on the left just to have a visual).

the synth goes to a mixing console then via direct out to soundcard.

A year ago I placed a kit of absorbing tiles in all sides and ceiling (using the mirror tip etc)

My problem is that while its a quite nice config for mixing purposes, working with my synth (most of the time, especially during sound designing - composing, my pc is off) using the monitors:

a. sucks cause I am 100% outside of any triangle shaped configuration so the slightest move of my head changes the already altered sound and phase cancellation is massive
b. i m working with very low freq, feedback etc so my monitors start to pump like crazy and i m sure soon would be off.

I wonder whats the way through

a. buying one active speaker with good low end response (my budget is max 300 euros) just for synth monitoring or

b. buy a new bigger set of monitors and then change their position whenever working with the synth? (or use only the one).

Unfortunately the budget is limited and an alternative studio design quite difficult right now.

Talking about synth and monitoring, I have to mention that my fav artist Eliane Radigue's home studio is a typical living room with an arp 2500 and just one spirit absolute 2 speaker for monitoring. So whats the issue here considering her as a sound perfectionist.

elaine4.jpg

are my speakers ok , does room matters?

Yeah, you could use just a single speaker set up for the synth (assume you are doing mono synth and not stereo), or just use a set of headphones?

Back