Sustain Pedal and MIDI Recording

P

Phyl

I recently started using a sustain pedal with my MidiTech keyboard. I've programmed the keyboard to treat the pedal as a sustain pedal. The keyboard is connected to a Roland sound module and when I choose a piano patch the pedal seems to work as expected, after I strike a key and let go, the note sustains until I take my foot off the pedal.

I'm confused about how the pedal is controlling sustain. When I record a MIDI performace in which I've used the sustain pedal and then look at the MIDI notes in SONAR, I don't see the MIDI notes stretched out where sustain was used and I don't get the sustain effect when I play the performance back unless I turn the sustain pedal on, and then eveything gets sustained.

Is this how it's supposed to work? If not, what am I doing wrong?

What exactly does the pedal "tell" my sound module when I turn it on?

You module is told "sustain pedal = ON" when you depress it and "sustain pedal = OFF" when you step off it.

When you play the MIDItech is it connected to the Roland and then to the computer?

Are you using the THRU port or the OUT port?

Carl

if you look at the MIDI track in...ummm, I forgot what it's called in Sonar, but if you open it in the "MIDI-numbers-view" opposed to piano view, you will see something called sustain or "hold" at the part where you press sustain pedal and its the same when you depress your pedal.
I hope this helps, really can't remember what that window is called, but in ACID, it's under MIDI property, i think

AL

Thanks Krakit and A1.

I've got the MidiTech midi out connected to my Aardvark Q10 midi in, the Aardvark midi through is connected to the Roland MIDI in.

Like I said, when I play a SONAR track back, it doesn't seem to know that I ever used the sustain pedal, like it's not recording the depression of the sustain pedal. I'll play with it some more, I'm obviously missing something.

Oops - brain fart on my part - SONAR is recording depressions of the sustain pedal just fine. So I really don't have a problem, although I did learn something new about my sound module and SONAR.

Thanks guys.

If you want to see the sustain pedal data you need to be able to view the midi controller messages. I can't remember the number for sustain but it is recorded the same as Volume, Pan, Patch Changes, etc. You can edit the sustain pedal data later if you need to which is cool.

Back