Software that writes music for you...

Armistice

Son of Yoda
I'm not a keyboard player, I'm a guitarist, and I know very little about MIDI, sequencers etc. so I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who is a keyboard player.

What she wants (and I don't know what sort of keyboard she has, but presumably it has outputs of some sort) is a program that will turn what she plays into a written score (and can then be printed out).

Will any general sequencer type program do this, or is it a specific functionality that has special software?

If anyone can let me know of any free programs that do this and where to get them, I'll send them on to her.

Thanks for your help..

Cheers

Whew!!

From you subject line, I thought for a second you were looking for software that actually wrote the song for you. That's some flamebait!

well... not so much... there are a few of those programs out there that attempt to write music for you. the question then is, who gets credit for it? you for click "generate"? or the software programmer?

grn said:
well... not so much... there are a few of those programs out there that attempt to write music for you. the question then is, who gets credit for it? you for click "generate"? or the software programmer?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Yeah, when I posted it I looked at the title and wondered if someone would take it that way myself... :D I was actually at a music warehouse on the weekend and saw software that professed to do just that, including solos in a number of styles. I'm not sure if you even had to feed in chords or anything!

Thanks for your answer Carter - I've downloaded one of the programs but haven't installed it yet. My next dumb question is how the hell do I get the piano to hook up to my laptop?

I should explain that I do all my recording on a Yamaha AW4416, rather than a PC, so I'm a bit clueless in terms of PC recording and getting sounds and signals in and out of them. And about the only thing I really know about MIDI is what it stands for, so I'm doubly handicapped.. :(

I'm assuming there'll be some interfacing gadget that will take a midi cable and plug into a USB port. Am I close to the mark? And what is the gadget called?

Cheers

Back