Roland Juno 106 question

The Analog Kid

I have a Juno 106 that is in excellent physical condition, my only problem is that I'm getting some unintentional static on certain voices. I've tried different cables (I get the same static out of the headphone jack, by the way), had the jacks, pots, and circuit board cleaned and tested and still I get the static. I've read that this may be a problem with the voice chip. There are replacement chips available on Ebay for $80.00.
My question is, has any one actually replaced one of these chips as a solution to this or any similar problem or will I be throwing $80.00 down the toilet? I have the technician who can replace the chip, but I want to know if I'm even on the right track here to fixing this problem. Has anyone actually done this chip replacement, and how did it work out? I'm in love with the sounds of this synth and I use it extensively, but it's unusable right now.

If there's a possibility of fixing a keyboard that you love $80.00 is not too much to risk 'throwing down the toilet'. I too am a fan of the Juno 106, but they are 20 year old keyboards now and probably were never intended to last this long. Sounds like you've tried everything else --- why not invest $80 and see what happens?

And look at it this way - your $80 may bring that big paperweight that looks like a Juno 106 back to being a fully functioning Juno 106. If you could buy one for $80 you'd probably jump on it in a New York minute.

Thanks for the reply.
I was talking to a friend with similar interests last night, and he suggested the exact same thing. I will purchase the chip this weekend and hopefully revive my Juno to it's former glory.
Thanks again.

Back