Recording synths

lttoler

I would like to start adding synth to my bands music but I'm kinda new to all that. As of right now, I put in synth sounds by tabbing out stuff on the midi editor and using free vsti's that I download. I would like to be able to still do it using MIDI but I would like to have something to use as a controller instead of using the midi editor alone. Would I be better off getting some kind of midi contoller? If so, what would be a good brand and is there any way to use it live down the road maybe with an outboard effects processor? Or should I get some kind of keyboard that uses MIDI? Any help would greatly be appreciated!

The Akai MPK49 is a good controller, nice feel, finish and plenty of faders, knobs and even the Akai MPD Midi trigger pads.

Combine this with a Nord Lead Rack and you're looking at a very nice set-up in my opinion.

no more than $2200. Someone suggested a M-Audio Axiom MIDI contoller. How is this and how would I use it? Would I have to get a sound module?

You could use VSTs.

I like hardware myself. A combination of hardware synths and VSTS is a good way to go.

Back