Recording with a Hardware synth

storoi90

Hi!

So I'm looking at finally getting some hardware synths after years of recording with disappointing softsynths.
First of I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha Motif MOX6 or a MOXF6. But I'm a bit concerned about loss in sound quality when recording.

The reason I'm concerned is this statement from the product developers of the Motif MOXF6:

"A single USB cable is all you need to transmit both audio and MIDI data between the MOXF and your computer."

I dont like this... Can´t i just go from the Audio L/R on the back of the Motif, and in to my two Line-inputs on my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?
I don´t want to lose sound quality because it´s made convenient to record via a USB cable :P

My gear:

iMac Mid 2011 (i7 8 GB RAM)
Logic Pro X
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

So you think another pass through D/A and A/D is going to preserve the sound quality?
Well, if it goes directly via USB, it bypasses the Focusrite interface completely. I would assume that converting the signal in the Focusrite is better then going through a USB cable.
Ok, what if i put this in another way: What is the primary method for converting the signal from a hardware synth in to a digital signal on your computer?

Well, if it goes directly via USB, it bypasses the Focusrite interface completely. I would assume that converting the signal in the Focusrite is better then going through a USB cable.

Objectively not better. Subjectively up to the listener.

Ok, what if i put this in another way: What is the primary method for converting the signal from a hardware synth in to a digital signal on your computer?

If it doesn't have digital output then you're forced to go through converters.

If the synth itself is responsible for the quality of the sound you like then conversion is a degradation, but if the D/A conversion adds something you like then by all means capture that accurately. The question is, does the 2i2 do justice to the synth's analog output?

The real question is whether you're on Mac or Windows. In Windows it's kind of a bitch to use two different ASIO devices at a time. Mac is easier, but still takes some messing around. In my mind, switching back and forth is unacceptable.

If it doesn't have digital output then you're forced to go through converters.

Right, thank you for this input! I did some google searching on "synths digital output" and found a bunch of useful information.
Some people say that analog levels might be more loud, but then the respond is; louder yes, but better.... ? no.

And also i see people talking about you basically have to have golden ears to hear the difference with and extra pass through D/A and A/D conversion.

The question for me (who have not owned a hardware synth nor recorded with one) remains:

Will a hardware synth still beat softsynths in fuller, richer, warmer tone, considering it´s degradation of the sound in conversion stages?

Will a hardware synth still beat softsynths in fuller, richer, warmer tone, considering it´s degradation of the sound in conversion stages?
Always works for me, anyway.

You may have mixed a few metaphors. "Fuller, richer, warmer" *is* a form a degradation without which, your synth would sound like a laboratory function generator. These characteristics of imperfection are what softsynth developers have been chasing for many years and will still have to wait for another generation of processors to fully attain.

I'm also a bit puzzled about where we get all this indictment of "degradation of the sound conversion stages". Is this the latest audiophool fad? Sure, some converters are better than others for detail, especially in things like reverb tails, but if your final stage is your computer sound card, as you're recording into your single computer, then you'll very likely be fine when it comes to a noticeable (or even detectable) threshold for conversion artifacts.

I'm going with "nothing to lose any sleep over" at this stage of the game.

Ponder 5

You're trying to apply objective standards to something that is subjective. By that measure, no, the fewest conversions yields the least degradation. But who cares? If you like it it's good. I'm not questioning your plan to use the analog outputs. I'm questioning your assumption that it's automatically, generally and objectively better to do so.

You're trying to apply objective standards to something that is subjective.

Well, the MOX6 has both USB and Analog, so i´ll try both for sure and compare. But actually i don´t care AT ALL if i use analog outs or USB, i just want it to sound as good as possible.
For me i just want to maintain as much as possible of the "characteristics of imperfection" (as Ponder5 but it very delicately) when recording in Logic Pro X. I mean that´s why i´m buying the hardware to begin with.

Back