Problem with Keystation 61es and Midi Out

willy4360

Hello, Happy New Year!

I have a problem with my new Keystation 61es. I can use the controller fine with my PC in Cubase, no problems at all. To remedy latency problems I bought from ebay an external sound module: Korg 05R/W. The problem I am having is that the midi out from the keyboard is intermittent. The sound stops while I am playing (or should I say the data stops transmitting for moments?). I have to press the sustain pedal or turn the volume up from the keyboard or press another note in the keyboard. Sometimes there's no sound at all from the keyboard no matter what I do. It is impossible to use. The 05R/W works fine with another keyboard (using the same midi cable) -I tried it on a Korg 01/W keyboard- and the Keystation 61es works fine with the computer no sound/data problems.

Can someone please help me?

This is a link to a shareware program called midiox. It will tell you exactly what your 61es is or is not putting out over midi.

I can't recommend this lil' program highly enough. Everyone who works with midi on computers at any level should have this little gem in their toolbox.

Thanks for the reply!

I downloaded the program, but since the keystation is connected to the PC via USB (and I am not having problems via USB) I have to get a MIDI-USB device to connect the keyboard to the PC via MIDI out-MIDI in. Then I can test the program. The problem still persist via MIDI-05R/W but not via USB-VSTi. There must be something wrong with the midi out port from the keystation...

The Keystation being the culprit would be pretty far down on my list. The whole family tree of controller keyboards are built to do only one thing --- transmit midi information. Unless you bought the Keystation used from an unscrupulous seller who failed to disclose that he/she was having a problem it is highly unlikely that the midi out is the problem here.

I have a USB keyboard too and it does read in Midiox. Try it! It just might work!

Here's an update:

I solved my problem (in part). I still can't use the keystation as a stand alone with the 05R/W (via midi), but I was able to program the controller to act as a midi-usb adapter. Now I can use the 05R/W in Cubase and select the sounds from there and play the keystation. It's working great, because the midi out from the keystation is only working as a "hub", cubase is the one sending the midi data. Now everything is OK and I can begin recording!!!!

They sent this reply about my problem:

This is most likely happening due to a hardware problem in a small number of Keystation 61es models. I would recommend returning/exchanging the unit with your retailer, it will need to be repaired. Otherwise we can take it back here to fix it, but you would need to return it to us in California.

Hope this helps, let us know if you need further assistance.

John von

Well enf of mystery. But keep the MIDI OX around!!! I recommend it to everyone I meet. It is a great for Mapping/Merging hardware inputs, for programs that only allow one MIDI input at a time (Great if your a keyboard player who plays more than one keyboard simultaneously). And EVERY MIDI problem I have ever had with my computers, modules, controllers, etc. has been cured with MIDI OX monitoring my rig. Get yourself MIDI Yoke too.

Back