Preamp for a Rhodes Mark 1

dmytrel

Hey guys,

I have a Rhodes Mark 1 that I record with sometimes, but I don't have an amp or pre-amp to run it through for recording. It sounds decent on my bass amp, but I need something that really makes it sound good.

Can you guys recommend a good pre-amp that would make my Rhodes hit a little harder?

It really needs a guitar amp, but I'd use an amp sim in the box most times instead. The piano itself has a preamp, so you should be able to plug it into any line input and be fine.

There's only about a million serviceable amps for a Rhodes. And the beauty of the Rhodes is that it's easily experimented-with. In fact, if you can think of a way to amp/pre-amp a Rhodes, someone has done it long ago.

Some guys like guitar amps. I hate Rhodes through a guitar amp. To me it sounds muffled. BUT, sometimes, the mix is best served by a subdued Rhodes. I like a much more sparkly side of a Rhodes. But at the same time, I'll run it through some cheapie pseudo-tube pre (like ART or similar) just to throw a little color on it.

Of course, by the time you throw some phase-shifter in there, which I also like with a Rhodes, then even more little details wash together.

What I've found is that the Rhodes is best brought to life with *servicing*. Where you can run a synth through all kinds of different amps and get lots of different sounds, the Rhodes, being mechanical/acoustic, brings the amp to life by just being in top nick. Tuning, action, key dip, and tips are what make the Rhodes really cut when played. The electronic stuff downstream? Not so much. Same holds true for Clavinet and even Hammond. On these types, it's generally the instrument, not the recording chain, that matters most.

Ponder5

A you should be able to record a Rhodes successfully by just going line in to whatever your using to record. Using a direct box is how I used to record in a studio. If it lacks presence you should move the individual pickups closer to the tines. Adjusting the angle the tines to the pickup will give you more treble and less bass in the sound. I prefer a more treble sound than is usually on a stock Rhodes. This is adjusted on each tone bar's mounting screws. Then I move each pickup as close to the tine as possible without it touching and hit each note as hard as possible to make sure there are no unwanted overtones. It takes some time, but it will make the Rhodes sound great.

You said Mark I, but did not specify if this is a stage piano or a suitcase piano. The stage piano does not have a preamp and is instrument level, so requires an instrument level preamp.

The suitcase piano has a preamp, but most of this age are in serious need of servicing/overhaul. None can be powered without their associated amps, or a cheek block / independent power supply which Vintage Vibe and others sell.

The defacto standard amp that Fender/Rhodes recommended was (surprise) the Twin Reverb.

If it doesn't have a preamp, then treat it like a passive guitar cause it's the same kind of pickup. It might not really need 1M, but a typical line input at 10K probably won't be ideal.

Back