Is it possible to split a keyboard so you can have lead patches and rythem patches?

jamtheguitarman

im using Spectrasonics Atmosphere with my M audio e66(its called something like that anyway) and my question is.

Could i assign one patch from atmposphere to say the lower couple of octaves and then another patch to the higher few octaves so that i could play ambient rythym with my left hand and at the same time do lead work with my right hand?

that's definitely possible, though i'm not familiar with softsynths.. i'm sure someone will help you.

Keyboard splitting - which is what you are asking about is usually called - is a function of the particular synthesizer, sampler or workstation, both hardware and software. Read the manual, and if there's nothing about splitting the keyboard to be found you can safely assume it's not possible with that particular synth.

Keyboard splits are typically used by better keyboard players who can handle playing one sound with the left hand and one with the right, and then mostly for live playing. If you're going to take your computer with you to gigs, then it would be worth pursuing the mechanics of splitting Atmosphere patches.

If your hardware or software doesn't support splits (I know the Radium doesn't), you could always turn to a program such as MIDI OX http://www.midiox.com/

Use MIDI OX to split the lower keys, by converting there Midi Channel (i.e. C3 and up Ch.1, B2 and lower Ch.2), Then in your host of choice fire up as many instances of plugins as you created splits. Depending on your host application, you can do this without MIDI OX.

Another way would be to use MIDI OX along with MIDI Yoke (Virtual MIDI ports, available at the same site as MIDI OX). And instead of converting MIDI channels, split the keyboard into different MIDI out ports for use in your sequencer (This is handy as some soft synths, don't like to work properly unless they are recieving on ch.1).

Back