Pitch Bend

Kaulback

I've been looking at a wide variety of synths recently and I've noticed most synths (that I've seen) come with a pitch-bend wheel but the MIDI controller I really want (Roland AX-7) uses a pitch-bend ribbon. Is there a significant difference between these two things? I've seen them both in action so I know the differences but I'm more referring to how easy it would be to learn to use one, assuming a person knows how to use the other.

This may not help much, but I have used ribbon, joystick(Korgs), and wheel. I prefer the joystick first, then the wheel.

Cheers,
Ben

Y'can do cool stuff with a ribbon like hammering on.

I find it easier to be subtle with a good-sized ribbon --- for those 'was that intentional?' pitch bends...

I'm partial to the Korg style 4-way Joystick (PitchBend/Modulation/Breath Control), But it limits certain things so indepent wheels are cool too. Ribbon controllers are a lot of fun but never feel quite as accurate, and predictable, as wheels and joysticks. That's probably just me though. I think in the case of the AX-7 it would be good for more guitar like vibratos (and a lot more stable when moving around, as your finger would be firmly placed on the ribbon, and not moving all around as you move around).

Back