piano EQ

bastupungen

hello i have a question about EQ in piano...

i have made an song with some calm piano stuff in it
go to www.arcaneband.tk then downloads to listen...
but im not satisfied with the piano song... its a little dull thought some EQ might help... any advice with EQ? or anything else for that matter???

i made the piano with an VST instrument så its not "real" piano sound but...

I'm at work and cant listen but in general trying to improve a sampled piano sound with eq is asking for trouble. You can cut some bass or mids but trying to add any high end or anything will just add noise and digital junk, especially on any quiet parts.

Your best bet is either a better piano sound or try a touch of Exciter to liven it up a bit.

I got to listen to it now. That sample is just a little too dark. There is a lot more to a brighter and richer piano tone than EQ.

You will probably have to get a different piano sound somewhere.

As a last ditch effort you might try using some room reverb to give it a little punch and a hint of exciter or flanger to spice it up a little.

ok... so EQ wont help so much... tobad... well new pianosound it is then...
any advice? where i can download or should i go an a big hunt?

exiter? flanger? hmm... exiter... i dont think i have that... what is that?
ill try to add some flanger... and to get a new pianosound...

Exciters are in many multi effects boxes and software DAW's. I dont recall exactly what they do but they "excite" certain frequencies and give a little more presence to a sound. They can also add hiss and sound too artificial.

Just a hint of flanger can do the same thing and give you a little more of a stereo feel. I think in your song you should try to find a piano tone that has a good attack and hammer sound. If you want something more haunting you can try putting a little reverse reverb on it.

Finding the perfect piano sound is an elusive quest. People will trade their first born for the perfect feel, attack and sustain of a real piano. There are many great piano sounds out now (as opposed to 10yrs ago when they all sucked) but what you can use will depend on your equipment.

The Green Hornet said:
Yo BTPungen:

You might try adding a splash of reverb to give some ambience to your stuff.

Green Hornet

yup.. does wonders..
.. my supernova can actually make a fantastic piano sound.. took me ages to program, but i got it, and my father who is a music instructor is totally amazed. and good thing is i can do all the tweaking i want with it, raise the filter, add a bit o' chorus, make the pitch swurl a bit after release..
all power to analogue sound modeling!

Back