old Yamaha keyboard PSR-150 advice

Ricklh

I have a co-worker who's selling this keyboard that came out back in the 80's, the PSR-150. Back then, it sold for around $300-$400. They're offering it to me for $50. It's not a bad keyboard but I'm hesitant to get it since it's 20 years old and for not much more I can get a new one that's probably got better, more realistic sounds. I found one just like it on Ebay for $65. I have it at home test-driving it and I do like the bass guitar sounds (muted bass, slap bass), and some of the other features, but I think I need to check Best Buy to see if I can do better. (I'm not into midi, just need a keyboard for the occasional piano track & bass notes to compliment my guitar & vocals.)

Yamaha PSR's are NOT professional keyboards. They sound bad and cheesy.

For 200 bucks or less you can hook up with dozens of good keyboards that are old but still good (sometimes better than what's out now).

Roland D20 isn't terrible
Roland JX8-P is decent for analog sounds
Ensoniq ESQ-1 is good for hybrid digital/analog sounds
Emu Emax I and II samplers sound decent and go for 250ish
Emu Proteus isn't terrible
Roland JV1010 or 1080 are good (rackmounts)
Roland JV80 still sounds good
Korg X3's are pretty cheap now
Emu ESI-32's (rackmounts) are decent samplers

All of the above are pretty cheap. For 500 bucks you can nail a Kurzweil K2000 which will blow you away for the power to price ratio. At one time (early 90's) this was as good as it got.

Back