Newbie Question about buying my first keyboard

anggixxoo

I'm about to buy my first keyboard, i'm planning on doing
- midi instruments
- simple basic chords

to record on my songs... but i'm really confused here.. so i looked at some of the really cheap yamaha/casio keyboard that people have for their weddings/living room..lol they cost from under $100 to around $400.. well most of them are around $100..but then i looked at some of those studio keyboards like the
M-audio 32 keystation mini that costs about $80! and they only have like 4 buttons.

whereas compared to the other casual keyboard that people use for their home and events costs the same price range yet offering more keys and settings and options!. i really don't understand?

both keyboard can connect to my computer via usb & midi.. so what makes those "Studio keyboard" like the m-audio different?

Are you a keyboard player already? Some have mini keys vs full size keys. Myself, as a pro keyboard player couldn't even begin to consider mini keys. But they may work for you. Those inexpensive Casios, etc. generate sounds from the unit - a midi controller keyboard produces no sounds on it's own, and therefore must be connected to outboard equipment and/or a computer with VSTi plugins to generate a sound. Another consideration is reliability and feel of the key bed and key action.

It's a very personal choice and I would advise that someone such as yourself, with questions about the basics, would be well- advised to visit a brick & mortar store and ask a million questions and tryout everything in the store.

I have some older units and just one new keyboard. I recently purchased Samson Graphite 49 - $179 - and am so far fairly impressed by the keyboard action and stoutness (I whack those keys pretty hard sometimes). And it's got a ton of programable knobs & sliders, if you're into that.

Have fun.

Good luck.

Back