New to synth keyboards, noob questions?

vrada501

I've always wanted to get into the synth keyboards though I still barely know much about them. But I was hoping to change that soon and outlive this noobishness
All I know about are FM synthesizer keyboards (Which sometimes has a Sega Genesis style sound from what I've heard) and Vector synth.

I'm thinking of what to get for my first keyboard So far though, I've been interested in the Yamaha DX7 (FM based) especially, as well as Korg Wavestation (Vector synth based) because I loved the sound of them out of the videos I watched but depending on what I end up learning I may be looking at others. I really liked the DX7 because it had the same exact tones that were used in video games I grew up with.

But there's a couple noob questions that I need to ask before I start pursuing this sometime soon.

In a series of Keyboards, lets say the Yamaha DX7 for example, would all it's successors from DX11 and all the way up contain all the same exact sounds of the previous models but just with more sounds, and more options etc or would they all sound different?

Considering how long it's been since those keyboards have came out, have they ever made a keyboard that had multiple synths in one? Like a keyboard that had the option to be played in FM or Vector for example.

I know it's only two questions for starting a thread, but it was hard to find answers to questions as specific as these. But besides that, and since I'm new to this I would appreciate any given info, advice, recommendations, links, tutorials involving these keyboards. Every model mentioned here are the only specific models that I know of.
Thanks.

Last edited:
All I know about are FM synthesizer keyboards (Which sometimes has a Sega Genesis style sound from what I've heard) and Vector synth.

The keyboard has more to do with the player than the sound engine. Programming FM is its own science and while yes, the quick and dirty stuff sounds very cold, some patches are remarkable. Add some effects and it's golden.

I'm thinking of what to get for my first keyboard So far though, I've been interested in the Yamaha DX7 (FM based) especially, as well as Korg Wavestation (Vector synth based) because I loved the sound of them out of the videos I watched but depending on what I end up learning I may be looking at others. I really liked the DX7 because it had the same exact tones that were used in video games I grew up with.

If that's what you're looking for....

In a series of Keyboards, lets say the Yamaha DX7 for example, would all it's successors from DX11 and all the way up contain all the same exact sounds of the previous models but just with more sounds, and more options etc or would they all sound different?

In a word, No.
And in answer to your second question, No.
Which isn't especially helpful, i'll admit. No matter the engine, Vector, FM, Subtractive, etc. they each have a category of ordinary sound (where you'll reside for some time) that make them somewhat identifiable. It's not especially easy to make an old 2600 sound like a DX-7 and somewhat vice-versa.
Features are seldom "upward compatible". A notable exception might be old Korgs who went through several iterations of the same engine more or less ending with the N-series. In FM parlance, the DX-7 *is* the culmination, having 8 operators, and then they plugged that 8 op format into everything. A DX-7II is 8 op but with 2 engines onboard. A TX-816 is a rack mount with 8 boards (TF-1 modules) onboard.

Considering how long it's been since those keyboards have came out, have they ever made a keyboard that had multiple synths in one? Like a keyboard that had the option to be played in FM or Vector for example.

Oh my yes! Many. The SY series of Yamaha is but one example. Kurzweil (perhaps my fave) has several similar combination synths.

I know it's only two questions for starting a thread, but it was hard to find answers to questions as specific as these. But besides that, and since I'm new to this I would appreciate any given info, advice, recommendations, links, tutorials involving these keyboards. Every model mentioned here are the only specific models that I know of.
Thanks.

What I would do:
1. decide on a budget. You gonna spend $100? $400? $1000? Where are you on this? While there's a few underrated bargains out there -- and you'll hear lots of opinions around here -- the industry is pretty mature. As in, how good do you wanna sound? How much money you got?

2. Then return with a question like "hey, i got $xxx to spend." You'll get a few suggestions.

3. of course, that won't be the end of it. you'll get a lotta "how many keys you want?" or "do you want piano action?" or even "do you want midi or are you gonna need USB?" So maybe having those questions answered up front might be productive, also.

4. oh, and then there's format. Maybe you want a keyboard *controller* to play into your laptop/DAW and perhaps synth *modules* to make the sounds. Now there's a real can of worms! I have several of each in my rig.

Now before you jump on the Noob Train with "which one is better?" or "what can i get by going [whichever] way?" just continue to bone up on stuff. Lots and LOTS of literature on the net about every model you'll ever encounter.

Alice asked the Cheshire Cat which road she should take. The cat asked her "where do you want to go?" She said, "I don't know." He replied, "then either road will take you there."

If you could first figure out what you wanna do and what sounds matter, that will help. Do you need a good acoustic piano? the Holy Grail of synthesis? then that will matter. Do you want spacey synthy sounds of days gone by? then that will matter, too. Do you wanna twiddle with knobs in real time? or do you wanna step through 1200 sounds and then load another bank? Do you want full computer support for loading sounds and playing? or do you want to push buttons and run knobs? All of that is out there.

Ponder5

Back