new digital keyboards

sparky123

looking for a full 88 digital keyboard with many sounds under 1000 us dollars. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. looked at the casio privies, yamaha 35 series, and korg and kawai. help me>>

When you say the "yamaha 35 series," do you mean the YPG-535 and YPG-635? If so, you might want to look at the DGX-650 instead.

The DGX-530/YPG-535 have 32-note polyphony; the DGX-630/YPG-635 have 64-note polyphony; and the DGX-640 also has 64-note polyphony. They use Yamaha's "AWM Stereo Sampling" to generate tones.

The DGX-650, on the other hand, has 128-note polyphony and uses Yamaha's "Pure CF Sound Engine" to generate tones. It also has more voices (presets) than the preceding models.

Now, all of these models feature XGlite rather than XG, so they're more limited than the PSR-S models as far as the number of DSP effects available and the number of variations they can play of a given style file-- but there are no 88-key models in the PSR-S series, only 61-key models. And while the DGX/YPG models do have "Graded Hammer Standard" keys, their build quality and keybeds won't be as good as Yamaha's digital and stage pianos. However, the digital and stage pianos are much more limited in the number of voices (presets) they have, as they're focused on acoustic piano, electric piano, organ, and string sounds-- plus, they cost over $1000. The DGX/YPG models are really the only Yamahas below $1000 that have 88 keys and come with a wide range of voices.

I don't really know much about the other brands, although I've heard that Casio's new CGP-700 model is supposed to be very impressive.

You really need to visit some brick-and-mortar music stores so you can try playing different keyboards in person, as that's the only way you'll be able to tell whether you like the way their keys feel and the way they sound. And if your only option is to order something online without being able to touch and hear it first, be sure the vendor has a good return policy so you can return it and get your money back if it turns out that you aren't happy with it and would rather go with a different brand or model.

was looking at the cdp-100 casio for a few years, finally saw it on sale & got it, but now I don't see it available any more. looks like the replacement is similar priced but no longer called cdp I think it's a privia saw it on sale for 350, very conveinient to have speakers, haven't used in amp yet, looking for another one for stereo, but it's def heavy w weighted keys, in the store it's really hard to hear what the others really sound like... I'd say bring headphones, I don't want to gig with it, so I'm also looking for a solution, maybe controller, but there's no more midi sound modules any more, it's all computer & usb...

Back