Need help with a simple MIDI setup

jjfossey

I need some advice on what I think is a simple setup, but for some reason I am stumped. Here's my problem:

I have a MIDI keyboard that I want to run through a Roland JV-1010 Synth module into my Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro console. My MIDI keyboard has MIDI I/O, the Roland JV-1010 Synth module has MIDI I/O and a "thru" output and the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro console has MIDI I/O.

What I want to do is use the MIDI keyboard to play sounds on the synth module and record these sounds using the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro console/soundcard.

In order to do this, how should I make the MIDI connections? Do I need to connect the MIDI keyboard's MIDI I/O to the Roland Synth module's MIDI I/O ports and then connect the "thru" output on the synth module to the MIDI IN port on the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro console?

Any advice/help is appreciated. Thanks.

MMmmmmm maybe, let's look and see.

The last step is where the issue lies, I believe. You are correct in your last assumption of using THRU from your Roland, but only if you are now wishing to also control your computer rig from your MIDI controller. More on this at the end (below).

But because you wish to record the sounds of the Roland (and you are not now wanting to drive any other sound modules or MIDI devices, which is the main purpose for MIDI), you will now want to run your 1/4" cords coming out of the analog outs of your Roland into your soundcard for recording.

You MUST get sounds (not MIDI information) into the last stage for recording. So your only MIDI connection(s) will be between the MIDI controller and the Roland Sound Module. Then 1/4" cords from Roland into your recording rig. Technically, you only need one MIDI cable, but the usual setup is ok (2 MIDI cables running back & forth between the controller and Roland module).

MIDI keyboard ---> Roland Synth Module ----> Computer soundcard
MIDI OUT ------------> MIDI IN, then analog out ---> line In

But picking up on the possibility that you do in fact want to control the computer rig from the knobs and buttons on your MIDI controller, then yes, you would continue with the MIDI Thru from your Roland to the MIDI IN of your recording rig. All this in addition to the 1/4" analog cords for the actual sounds to get out of your Roland and into the recording rig.

The MIDI Thru is an exact copy of the MIDI IN on the Roland, which would then be passed forward to your computer rig.

So then it would look like this:

MIDI keyboard ---> Roland Synth Module ----> Computer soundcard
MIDI OUT ------------> MIDI IN, and Thru ---> MIDI IN

and lastly, your audio cords of Roland's analog out ---> line In (soundcard)

Last edited:
Shouldn't you be using the audio inputs on the soundcard? not the midi in. Doesn't using the midi in then make the soundcard synth chip the controller of the sound output? This sort of negates the roland gear.

The path I would use is:

Keyboard midi out --> computer midi in
Computer midi out --> Roland midi in
Roland audio out --> computer audio in.

With this set up you can use your computer as the hub to record and edit midi information (that you input via the keyboard), then play it back through the Roland. You can then record the audio from the Roland.

The path I would use is:

Keyboard midi out --> computer midi in
Computer midi out --> Roland midi in
Roland audio out --> computer audio in.

With this set up you can use your computer as the hub to record and edit midi information (that you input via the keyboard), then play it back through the Roland. You can then record the audio from the Roland.

The drawback from this method is that by bypassing the Roland synth and taking your MIDI cable from your keyboard controller directly to your computer, you will not be able to play your musical gear without also having to turn on your computer. Maybe not an issue to you, but this method does force you to have all your gear on to play.

By using your MIDI Thur via the Roland, you have the option of doing either - playing your Roland with or without the computer on.

Great Info!

Toddskins,

Great information. I will try out your suggestion and let you know of my progress (or lack thereof). Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Back