MM6 recording in Fruity loops - no sound?

Mr_Green

Hi ppl, i hope you can help me.

I got me a Yamaha MM6 and hooked it up to my pc via usb-midi and line-in.

Now when i want to record in fruity loops i hear sounds, the sound gets into fl (you can see the wave) but when i play the recording theres no sounds.

Maybe someone knows where the error is?

Thx
Mr_Green

Not sure what is going on there. My question is why arent you using Cubase LE, it came bundled with it didnt it?

Ok here is the deal. When you hook it up using a usb cable/midi cable you are hooking up the keyboard as a controller keyboard which means that you can only control the sounds that are in the sequencer, good thing for you i have fl so i can get more in depth with you. with the board hooked up this way you will be able to play all the sounds you load up into the sequencer and also any vst/plugins you load up. in the midi options menu if you select generic keyboard and enable it you can also use the faders/sliders of the board by right clicking a know/slider and clicking on link to controller/auto enable/ and move the slider or knob and it should be linked.if you want to use the sounds from your keyboard and put them inside fl you must follow these instructions. idk wut kind of equipment you have but you will need an interface. i have the tascam fw-1082, the asio drivers are great and it's the centerpiece of my operation. take the stereo outs of the keyboard and put them into the in jacks on the interface. go to the mixer in fl and go to lets say channel 6.to the far right where you can select effects to add to the channel, up on top you will see a box that says in: none, click that box and ur interface's in slots should show up, select the slot you plugged the wires from ur board into and viola you now can hear your board sounds in fl. hit record play and there you go record the melody as u wish. the same goes for plugging in guitars and mic's also. there is also a little floppy looking disk on the bottom of the mixer channel that enables you to say that melody/vocals/etc. just click the disk give it a name and a location and there you go. anymore questions feel free to ask but the next lesson is by the hour haha. good luck man

thx for the replies guys!

DestertEase, so there is no way to get the MM6 sounds into FL without buying an additional interface, do i get you right?

Because i did exactly what you said, except that in the box i chose my soundcard, and i get the sounds in fl, i can record, see the wave. Just when i play it theres no sound.

If its like you say and i need to buy an interface that sux bigtime, because im broke now lol.

btw with windows audio recorder i can record the playing, just not in fl.

I really hope theres a way to ge this to work without buying additional hardware, i just want to use these awesome sounds to make some tracks :)

hmmm, if ur using a midi/usb cable then there is no way u are hearing the keyboard sounds inside the program cuz those cables are data cables and thats all they do is transfer data, they can't transfer audio like that, so you do have the audio outs going into the soundcard? it would prolly be the left out of the board cuz thats the momo output into the soundcard's in, my interface has stereo in so i don't have to worry bout that. tell me the way you have everything set up via cables you settings in fl, any pictures? how do you like that board anyway?

I have USB-Midi connected to my usb port and audio cable connected to line-in on my soundcard.

The problem must be somewhere on the pc side but i havent been able to figure it out yet.

The board itself is AMAZING, it sounds so good. I bought it mainly to use the sounds in fl and it has exactly the sounds i was looking for.

But the built in software is crap, i thought it had a sequencing software like the motif where you can record and loop easily. But on the MM6 you can only record complete tracks and not loop them and its very uncomfortable to do so.

But its fun to simply play on this thing too, just hoping to get it to play in my fl so i can build some nice tracks with the amazing sounds.

Thats odd they call it the"mini-mo" you would think it would be able to loop? sounds more like an arranger to me lol but the motif sounds are official so thats a plus. i'm gonna do some reverse engineering and see if i can get my keyboard to stop working so i can figure out ur situation, could be your soundcard possibly or some settings in fl

I have USB-Midi connected to my usb port and audio cable connected to line-in on my soundcard.

The problem must be somewhere on the pc side but i havent been able to figure it out yet.

The board itself is AMAZING, it sounds so good. I bought it mainly to use the sounds in fl and it has exactly the sounds i was looking for.

But the built in software is crap, i thought it had a sequencing software like the motif where you can record and loop easily. But on the MM6 you can only record complete tracks and not loop them and its very uncomfortable to do so.

But its fun to simply play on this thing too, just hoping to get it to play in my fl so i can build some nice tracks with the amazing sounds.

Dont give up yet.;)

Your terminology is a bit off, as is your understanding of midi.

Fruity loops is not the program you want to use. Try using the Cubase that comes with the MM6. Without getting too technical, the MM6 and Fruity loops arent going to get along well. Ableton Live might be good too.

sounds more like an arranger to me lol but the motif sounds are official so thats a plus.

Thats correct, it's an arranger to an extent.

Mr Green,

midi is like a player piano. Its a different bird than audio. Midi makes no sound, its just a way for machines to talk to each other. Fruity loops has it's own sounds. Midi is a little hard to grasp, which is why you should start with Cubase as it will be easier to learn.

Hey guys i dont know what i did different this time, but i tried again and now it works!

Im happy now :)
Thank you!

DavidK would you mind elaborating more why you dont recommend using MM6 and FL. Because i got some basic knowledge in fruity and know absolutely nothing about Cubase. So i'd rather stick with that than start at 0 again.

I would like to know your reasoning for switching also please good sir? How can a keyboard like the mm6 be better for cubase? is it because it's bundled with cubase? I think not, my Axiom came with abelton live but you want catch me using that program, nope i like fl as my main program with reason as my sound module (cuz stand alone reason is a joke)

I would like to know your reasoning for switching also please good sir? How can a keyboard like the mm6 be better for cubase? is it because it's bundled with cubase? I think not,

1. The blue font is really hard to read.;)

2. The MM6 doesnt play well with others. There is no "multi" mode. Programs like Sonar and Cubase use instrument definitions or "scripts" to assign channels. I am not aware of FL having that.

To get the MM6 working on 16 channels without instrument definitions is no easy feat. It's also not a very good "master" keyboard. It has poor midi implementation. The editing capabilities alone are a good reason to use a program like Sonar or Cubase.

I've had the MM6 for a long time and know it inside-out. Its a quirky bugger if you want to do complex things. You'll just have to trust me, I know synths pretty well.;) When working with 16 channels of midi, problems arise without a script. If FL has that capability, then great. I am not sure if it does or not.

Thx for elaborating that further DavidK.

Im using more the sounds from the MM6 than using it as an MIDI controller atm, so ill stick with FL for a while. But i guess ill have to switch to CUbase in the long run.

Yea fl supports 16 channels, I misunderstood i thought you were talking down about fl saying it was a lesser program than the other 2, but in fact you were just stating that the mm6 works better with the other 2 due to it's lack of build. I have read a lot of people's opinions about the mm6 and am now starting to wonder when i will be able to buy this keyboard at walmart for 300.00 lol, check the yamaha forums to see what i'm talking about

Thx for elaborating that further DavidK.

Im using more the sounds from the MM6 than using it as an MIDI controller atm, so ill stick with FL for a while. But i guess ill have to switch to CUbase in the long run.

If it works, it works. The problems might come when using 16 channels, but if you can do it, good.:D

I have read a lot of people's opinions about the mm6 and am now starting to wonder when i will be able to buy this keyboard at walmart for 300.00 lol, check the yamaha forums to see what i'm talking about

It's Yamaha's #1 seller.:D

It's actually a very cool machine, it just has a few odd quirks and a few cost-cutting things that are kind of dumb. The sounds are great and it's laid out extremely well. I like to write my music with it. I have quite a few synths and samples now for recording, but the great thing about the MM6 is how easy it is to get ideas going.

I think the majority of the people that do not like it are the one's who were tricked into thinking this is a motif. Since you guys have the board would one of youo mind doing a little compilation of the sounds on it? how many individual sounds are actually on it?

Price sells lol, my only anger with it is the non looping factor

I think the majority of the people that do not like it are the one's who were tricked into thinking this is a motif. Since you guys have the board would one of youo mind doing a little compilation of the sounds on it? how many individual sounds are actually on it?

There are lots of sounds.
The focus is on bread n butter sounds: the Motif "Power Grand" Piano, E. Pianos, great acoustic guitars, basses etc. It has very little in the ambient dept. It has no portamento or monophonic mode, which is the biggest flaw by far. Without it, playing synth leads are useless.

Price sells lol, my only anger with it is the non looping factor

Yeah. To be honest, it's something I would never use anyways. The arranger stuff is cooler than one might expect. It can do a lot of neat little tricks. Overall its a great keyboard for the price if you can live with the quirks and the flaws. I can easily because I have quite a few synths.

Here is a track done entirely with the MM6 except for the violin tracks, which are real. Sabre Dance

This board has AMAZING sounds and is alot of fun to play. I bought it for the sound so im very happy :)

If you expect the motif features you will be disappointed though, the recording function of this thing totally sux IMO. If you want to produce you need a pc and DAW software.

Back