Midi or USB Cable?

whattaguy

Hello all,

I just purchased an Evolution 249C midi controller for my setup. I have the options of either going directly to my pc via the USB port, or I can use a midi cable to my soundcard breakout box (Aardvark DP2496). Which one is better or preferred? I am currently using the USB with no "apparent" problems. I ask this to avoid making any unnecessary purchases since I have the usb cable that came with the controller. I already have a midi cable (which is unopened and returnable), but I would then need to buy a power cord as well. I am pretty much a newbie to all the midi stuff. Thanks.

RE: USB or Midi cable

USB has serious issues when it comes to timing so I would avoid it where you can.

midi is much better than usb, trouble free. If your current setup workls fine, dont try the USB.

Interesting - I've never experienced any problems with a USB midi interface.

midi via the gameport or midi via USB - both have been very reliable for me.

Both (gameport/USB) are mediums of communication for midi, so I'm not sure where the "midi is better than USB" comment comes from.

Most interfaces are going USB because compatability issues are cleared up using that medium. Very easy to do - plug, and go.

"Timing issues" are also a new thing - never heard of them via USB.

In fact USB 2.0 can be a very reliable medium for small audio interfaces, and especially something with practically no heavy work load like midi information.

my 2.

-muzakal

Interesting...so I guess I will just keep my USB setup (Cost: $0) as to a midi setup (Cost: $8 cheap midi cable, $20 power supply). Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

muzakal said:
Both (gameport/USB) are mediums of communication for midi, so I'm not sure where the "midi is better than USB" comment comes from.

These articles explain / measure midi timing issues and shows that pci midi interfaces are superior to usb:

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/Sep02/articles/pcmusician0902.asp
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/Oct02/articles/pcmusician1002.asp

Whether you notice the timing issues is a different matter but it is there.

muzakal said:
Interesting - I've never experienced any problems with a USB midi interface.

midi via the gameport or midi via USB - both have been very reliable for me.

Most interfaces are going USB because compatability issues are cleared up using that medium. Very easy to do - plug, and go.

In fact USB 2.0 can be a very reliable medium for small audio interfaces, and especially something with practically no heavy work load like midi information.

my 2.

-muzakal

There have been several posts about USB-MIDI problems over at harmony-central.com

It has to do with USB's communications protocol and how it was never intended for timing sensitive uses. You can never guarantee that packets going into the USB stream will come out the other end in the same timing pattern (i.e. you could have a 8th note pattern played into it and notes on the other end could be shifted by several PPQ)

It is most noticeable with drum tracks.

Okay, so I will go out and buy an AC Adapter for my controller. Actually, are there any foreseeable problems in using the USB connector to power up my keyboard in conjuction with using my midi cable?

USB 2.0 doesn't seem to have the same timing issues as older versions. Edirol I think is the only midi/usb interface designed for 2.0 thus far (might be others) but for the record 2.0 is a safe bet for midi.

-muzakal.

I dont see how you can say usb 2.0 is a safe bet for midi without any evidence or testing. Until some quantitative measurements like those in the sound on sound articles are made with usb2.0 midi interfaces no conclusion on their capabilities can be made.

USB 2.0

It is true that you can never be sure about theoretical performance--no substitute for real world testing. That being said, I would point out that USB 2.0 increased the connection speed from the old USB 1.1 12 Mbps to 480 Mbps (million bits per second). With that kind of bit rate it seems at least theoretically likely that MIDI data would see no timing issues, MIDI being really slow in comparison (31.25 Kbps, i.e., the USB 2.0 stream is 15,360 times faster).

I did just read a review of the MK-249C USB MIDI keyboard and the reviewer said he did get about 60 ms latency with the USB--but it wasn't clear if the keyboard and host computer were running USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 (both would have to be USB 2.0, of course to get the increased data rate)
http://www.musicgearreview.com/review-display/3447.html

Thanks for all your input. I went ahead and bought a power supply with a midi cable, and it works great. Actually, with the usb, the softsynths "fizzled" out on me while tweaking the controls, but no problems at all with the other set up. You guys are great. Thanks.

Back