Midi Keyboard Controller question?

Tyson

I don't know much at all about midi, but I am planning to buy a small compact usb midi keyboard controller. I was wondering what software I need to go with it. I don't want to spend much, what can I get for cheap that will get me started?

I just bought an M-Audio USB Keystation 49e ($99) (midi keyboard controller). I'm a guitarist, so an inexpensive unit is all I need for now and 49 keys is fine. I just plugged it into the USB port and my Audiophile 2496 recognized it. As soon as I opened the VSTs in Cubase SX, I was playing it. Though the keyboard came with a CD, I didn't have to install anything.

Tyson said:
I don't know much at all about midi, but I am planning to buy a small compact usb midi keyboard controller. I was wondering what software I need to go with it. I don't want to spend much, what can I get for cheap that will get me started?
You could get an M-Audio. They come with some basic "Lite" version software (Live, Reason, Etc.). But without more specifics of what you plan to do, it is hard to tell what will work best for you. More details please. PC or Mac? Are you planning to work more with looped material, live material?
There are a ton of budget sequencers out there (Home Studio, MAGIX Music Studio, etc.).

Back