Midi Help!!! Please

geeq

I'm quite frustrated of trying to configure my keyboard setup.. here's the problem.. I can't get my midi track (from computer) to play to my sound module (Turbo Phatt)...

here's my equipment:
MIDI Controller = Evolution MK225C
Sound Module = E-Mu Turbo Phatt (upgraded version)
PC
Midi cable (joystick-midi)
Sound Cards: M-Audiophile & a cheap PC sound card..

note: I can't use audiophile for midi-out cuz I don't have a cable which has a smaller port than joystick.. i use the card for recording..

anyways, here's the route..
midi controller (midi-out) ======= (midi in A) sound module
*works good*..

midi controller (usb) ======= (usb port) pc
*works good*..

midi controller (midi-out) ========== (joystick port-midi in) sound card
*works good*..

ok, i can program/record midi tracks to my pc now.. the thing is..
i can't midi-out em so the module can play em from the computer..

(joystick port-midi out) ========= (midi in A) sound module
*doesn't work... i don't hear any sounds*...

I've tried to hook it up with midi B, using the same pattern as above.. it seems midi B, doesn't work.. i don't know why..
I tried to hook up from
(joystick port-midi out)========== (midi in B) sound module..
*my computer crash!!* then the cable get hot..

Can you guys please help me out.. i've been tryin' to figure this midi setup for more than 3 months.. well what i did was just hook up my midi controller to my sound module, then output the sounds direct to my Audiophile card or mixer... but i wanna work with midis.. I think it's much easier working with midi..

by the way, what the hell is MIDI THRU???

Hmmm...

Something doesn't sound right in your setup..
In my answer I'm assuming a few things:

- Your MIDI controller has an A port and a B port out... Right? - Lastly, Does it have a "Thru"???

Sounds like your computer is working well with your controller (that's because of the MIDI USB out...

Two things you can try:

- See if there is a MIDI "pass" or MIDI "thru" function on your controller... Plug the controller's out that has this funciton into the "in" on your sound module

- If your controller has a MIDI thru - Then plug the MIDI thru of your controller into the MIDI "in" of your sound module...

Rule of Thumb:
- Midi IN - Takes all note information into a sound unit
- Midi OUT - Sends material generated specifically from the unit itself out to whatever it's plugged into...
- Midi THRU - Passes all information from a unit's "in" port to the out port without effecting it at all...

That's why you would want to plug the "thru" into your sound module... Because the information coming from the computer would be passed through your controller - Into the sound module....

Technically you will be "indirectly" playing the sound module from the controller through your comptuer...

Confused yet?!
Write for more help...

my midi controller doesnt have a MIDI THRU, it only has a MIDI OUt, USB, & SUSTAIN PORT (I don't know what this is also ;)..

Ok...

I think your "sustain" port is for a pedal that will hold the notes...

You need to look in the manual to see if there is a "thru" feature on your controller... That way the signals coming in from the computer through the USB port will be passed into the out port on the controller...

If you plug the out of the controller into the in of the sound module do you get sound coming out?

Have you checked to see if there's a "multi" style program in your sound module? Many times in synths there will be a "single" mode where only one sound can play... That sound is based on a specific MIDI channel... Then there is a "multi" mode where you can play up to 16 sounds from the module... These will have different MIDI channels...

It's possible you may be on one single channel and the midi channel that the sound module is using is not the one your controller is transmitting on...

Keep pluggin...

Are you monitoring the audio outs of the module when you test if it is working? Are you assiging that midi port as the output in the software?

yeea.. i just read the manual for my controller.. it says that it if i plug it via usb, it could plug the midi out (from controller) to my slave's midi in (sound module).. and i have to press 2 buttons simultaneously (BANK MSB & TRANSPOSE).. but it's not working.. I don't hear any sounds.. regarding the channels.. i'm not quite familiar with it.. how does it work? do i have to change the settings in my controller? module? or software? yes, i've setup the midi port as USB IN / USB OUT in my software.. i've tried various softwares (samplitude, sonar, acid, digital orchestrator, logic).. nada.. none works ;( u think if i buy a usb/midi cable for my sound modules (out) to my pc (usb), will it work?? at least it's not going to pass thru my controller, cuz that channel thing sounds complicated.. the only thing i know about this controller, is to play with the keys, change the octave, and pitch bend :) but i'll try to play with the channels..

ok.. i think i know what was wrong.. the midi controller was selected to NO as not receiving midi messages.. so here's the midi thru route.

PC (midi data) ===== > via usb ===> midi controller (midi out) =====> via midi cable ====== > sound module (midi in)..

when i play the midi track or play keys with the contrller.. it says "C01A V086 P01R A:P ????? (not installed)"

i don't know what the hell it was.. but I THINK:
C01A stands for Channel 01 A
V086 as Volume 086
P01R as Pan 1 Right

A:P === I don't know..
but i don't know what was installed... anyone familiar with this problem?? help??? anyone with E-Mu Mo Phat (turbo Phatt)??? please help..

ok.. now i hear something coming out. here's what i did..
i just keep playing the midi tracks from my computer, then turned off the module, when the module turn on, it starts playing.. i mean the midi is trigerring the sounds from it..

BUT..

when I stop, the midi from my pc, then play it again.. it says the same thing "not installed.." so i assume that there is something wrong with my module, or I just don't really know how to configure it properly.. can anyone help me with this.. i know im almost there..

What???

Wow that's great...
I'm glad you're actually hearing something....

My question is "WHAT" is giving you the message?

Is it the display of the controller?
Is it the computer?

What program are you using to write your sequences?

It sounds like when you first turn on the module and play - everything is fine / But when you trigger something from the computer - A command comes from the computer telling the module to change something which prevents the module from making anymore sound...

Hang in there...

yeea!.. i tried playing the midi track from the computer, then turn on my module, everything sounds fine, but when i play it again, it shows an error.. i don't know what was wrong.. also the odd thing about it, is when turn on "MIDI OUT FROM USB" from my controller's menu... it won't play any sounds from the module.. BUT.. if I turn off "MIDI OUT FROM USB".. it can play sounds from my module.. do u think something's wrong with my sound module or some configuration? i read the manual.. but it was a lil' complicated ;) anyone owns a mo phatt? can u share your settings with me? then i'll just copy your settings, and see if it works :)

Back