midi controller vs digital piano

mullin

hi, i'm a beginner learns playing keyboard and computer recording. want to know the differences and then buy the equipment?

1. what're the differences between midi controller (e.g. roland A-80) and digital piano (yamaha P70)
2. what're the pros and cons?
3. any suggestions for my needs as a beginner.

thanks!

The piano makes sounds. ;)

Midi Controllers generally have a bunch of sliders and knobs for controlling lots of stuff and many keyboard/modules. They dont have onboard sounds, whereas the yamaha does.

My only suggestion would be to get something with a lot of keys. Mine had 49 and I wish I had more. I have a "real" piano too, but a 76 or 88 key midiboard would really come in handy.

if i buy midi control, do i need to buy a sound module to produce the sound. if yes, any suggestions as i have no ideas for that. but, i would like to see price is within $200 if possible.

Most decent digital piano will allow you to use them as a midi controller, but the controller can't make sounds by itself.

I am a very novice key player, but i went through the same dillema. I ended up getting a Fatar SL-1100. It was less than $250 used and i am really really happy with it. Kind of a pain to have to load up software on the DAW to play it, but since that is where i am recording it is fairly natural as well.
The Sl 1100 is hammer wieghted and feels great to me, paying a real piano is very similiar, i like the consitency of the action on the SL 1100 though. It has two wheel, two jacks for pedal controll and a zillion onfigurable banks i have never touched. It isn't portable, but so far i am really happy.

Daav

1. what're the differences between midi controller (e.g. roland A-80) and digital piano (yamaha P70)
Digital piano usualy costs more than a midi controller because it has speakers(usualy),and a hardware synth.a midi controller needs something to control . eg. a hard synth rack or a soft synth!Now i am trying to buy a midi controller CME with 77 keys , cause i am in yout situation.learning and in the same time a computer geek :P . so that means i'll prefer a soft synth+midi controller!
2. what're the pros and cons?
you can't get very portable with the controller unless you get a laptop with you.or the place you go to has some equipment (like a hardware synth or a computer!)
the controller offer greater value for someone who is into DAW-producing,recording and so on...usualy a digital piano lacks knobs and faders but has midi I/O.
3. any suggestions for my needs as a beginner.
It's up to you!now i think it's a great combo to have! :) software+midi controller!

peritus said:
Do the newer digital pianos send velocity sensitive midi?
Absolutely. Almost every keyboard made does, unless you dont want it to ( like a virtual analog perhaps).

DavidK said:
Absolutely. Almost every keyboard made does, unless you dont want it to ( like a virtual analog perhaps).

Cool... I'm thinking roland then.. woohoo...

P.S. One thing to consider when choosing between controller and digital piano might be placement...

As in, a digital piano has the pedals and such.. All oriented in a scale and placement of an actual piano... I've been using a controller for years and have problems with hand placement... Among other reasons, I attribute the bulk of the problem to having the controller up on the desk, under the screen... Which, of course, (in my case) is WAY too high to play effectively... According to the piano literature I read, hand placement is one of the main reasons people just quit practicing...

I mean.. Imagine playing a guitar in some odd position... Same thing to me: Unnecessary difficulty..

P.S.S. That's not to say you can't set up a controller in the proper fashion.. It's just not nearly as idiot proof...

Not to mention that the action on the digitals seems a step above the controllers.. Normally, that is..

peritus said:
Cool... I'm thinking roland then.. woohoo...

P.S. One thing to consider when choosing between controller and digital piano might be placement...

As in, a digital piano has the pedals and such.. All oriented in a scale and placement of an actual piano... I've been using a controller for years and have problems with hand placement... Among other reasons, I attribute the bulk of the problem to having the controller up on the desk, under the screen... Which, of course, (in my case) is WAY too high to play effectively... According to the piano literature I read, hand placement is one of the main reasons people just quit practicing...

I mean.. Imagine playing a guitar in some odd position... Same thing to me: Unnecessary difficulty..

P.S.S. That's not to say you can't set up a controller in the proper fashion.. It's just not nearly as idiot proof...

Not to mention that the action on the digitals seems a step above the controllers.. Normally, that is..

Yeah, if you are a PIANIST then you need the right height and feel. If you play for long periods and its not the correct height, your hands will let you know. I am a hybrid, I am not good enough to call myself a "pianist" but I know enough to get in trouble. I actually have a real piano, my synth height is almost a foot higher. :rolleyes: I need a new synth stand, plus I play my synth sitting in my comfy chair. :D A piano bench is designed for good posture. If one is really serious about piano/keyboards, it is best to do it correctly.

Back