MIDI Connection to Audio Interface

zimbo

I'm using Cubase.
How do I connect my new USB MIDI Controller keyboard (without MIDI in/outs sockets) to an audio interface with MIDI in/out sockets? My previous MIDI keyboard was connected via MIDI cables...

You don't. Just plug the USB straight into the computer. It should register automatically and be available in your DAW.

You don't. Just plug the USB straight into the computer. It should register automatically and be available in your DAW.

Thanks.
What about latency? Will I require a MIDI audio interface to get round this problem?

Thanks.
What about latency? Will I require a MIDI audio interface to get round this problem?

If your midi controller is USB, then you don't need a midi interface or an interface with midi connections. Just plug it into the USB port and be done with it. Latency is dependent on which device you're using for audio and which softsynth you are using, not the midi interface.

For me, I plug my Alesis Q25 into a usb port. If I use the computer's soundcard via Windows to listen to my softsynth, there is a horrible 50ms delay. Not usable in any practical sense. If I use my audio interface (UAD Apollo) there is a 5ms delay. Can't even notice it.

So, I suggest you use an audio interface, but no need to buy one with midi connectors if your midi controller has a usb plug.

Back