Mid/lower end keyboard experiences, suggestions

joey2000

Anything up to about $800ish I would consider, though I prefer to spend less. I'm not a "pro" but I don't consider myself clueless either, looking for it partly to play (myself, not to others) and to record. It would just be my keyboard and possibly vocals. It will also not be some 200-piece orchestral pieces I'm making :) though I'd like the option to occasionally have more of a bigger band sound.

I'm waffling on whether to buy one with sufficient built-in tracks and voices to just have that vs having to buy a keyboard and purchase a DAW, esp for playing, but it's not out of the question.

Quality...hard to pin down...again I'm not a professional and don't need something so amazing (a good thing given the cost factor), but I don't want something cheap either. Seems to me some very respectable keyboards are coming out lately well under $1K that are probably more than enough for most.

Anyone?

You say 'low end' than quote $800. Low end is a $200 Yamaha - and there are actually some good (if not gig-able) keyboards available now for under $300. A lot depends on what kind of built-in sounds you want, the ruggedness of the keyboard and the 'feel' of the keys.

If you want multi-track recording/sequencer capability IN the keyboard, then you want a workstation-type or 'arranger' keyboard. I'd recommend not going that route, but instead get a stand-alone keyboard (with MIDI capability) as well as an audio interface, and use a computer to record.
Check out the specs at online places like Sweetwater, narrow down your possibilities then go to a music shop and play a few keyboards.

You say 'low end' than quote $800.
No, I said "mid/lower end," and many people consider $800 to be just that.

there are actually some good (if not gig-able) keyboards available now for under $300.
I think we have different definitions of what a "good" keyboard is. :)

I'd recommend not going that route, but instead get a stand-alone keyboard (with MIDI capability) as well as an audio interface, and use a computer to record.
Considering something like that, but doubt I'll get an audio interface - more hassle and extra $ I don't need to spend as it's really not needed.

Check out the specs at online places like Sweetwater, narrow down your possibilities then go to a music shop and play a few keyboards.
Thx........they seem to have what most others have eg amazon etc, but worth a look. Unfortunately, "go try some at a music shop" advice doesn't work as I'm not near a big city and so there are only a few places that sell DPs and they always carry the higher-end stuff.

Thx for the reply though!

Take a look at the Casio Privia PX-350. It is 88 keys scaled hammer action with a 17 track recorder and a bunch of ROM sounds. $700.

You mentioned recording vocals and keyboard but did not want the expense of an audio interface and DAW. How are you planning to record vocals and keys? Given your $800 budget, I would consider the PX-350 and something like the Presonus USB Audiobox which comes with a very usable DAW. If you already own a mic, that setup will keep you busy for a while.

Been playing keys for over 40 years and your options today are amazing. The Casio's are very cool but with an $800 budget you've got a lot of options as along time player for an all around multisound extremely powerful keyboard the yamaha MO, MOX and MOXF series are incredible values the MO now being the oldest @ 6 years old..You didn't mention how many keys you want or weighted...if Piano is your main sound then you will want the weighted 88...if your more organ and synth the 64 and 73 keyed semi weighted are fine...actually they are fine for piano too if you're not a purist.

The Korg's and Rolands built within the last 6 years are all fine too ...I would recommend not buying new but rather used off of craigslist or ebay...it sounds like ebay with shipping might be better suited for you.. Set your budget, set up your search and then wait ...the good deal on a killer Yamaha MO or MOX will come up...I doubt you'll find an MOXF under $800

Good luck!

BTW the MOX and XF come with an audio interface built in kick ass

Again thanks for the replies. I will not buy used but thx for the idea. The leading candidates are the casio 350 and yamaha 650. Frankly I"m not sure how big of a deal "weighted keys" are per se, ie vs synth action...I'd love to try out both side by side but I don't live in/near a big enough city that has such things to try, let alone try specific models. The few stores around here are small and only have high-end DPs.

Many of the online retailers have a generous return policy of 30 days. In cities large and small you are not going to find an inventory compiled of numerous models from each manufacturer, as a result many keyboards are purchased online sight unseen.

If you are a pianist, then weighted keys are a must, if you play keys, then plastic unweighted can often let you play faster - depends on what you personally want. Master keyboards with no sound generation can be pretty useful, if you use the popular DAWs, but I have never used the sequencer in my Korg, or other keys. Buying a keyboard without playing it is the same problem people have with guitars - feel is tricky for mail order! It's going to be a bit of a gamble. I'm absolutely a keys player, and my pianist friend hates my Korg, but loves the Gem stage piano I've had for a few years. It doesn't have the best sounds, but he likes the keyboard action, I on the other hand struggle a bit with it - and play less bum notes on the Korg!

I just spent a long time trying out dozens of diff digital pianos a month or 2 ago. I was mostly looking for was 88 keys and the most realistic piano sound, Yamahas sounded the best to me in general. I got a p255 with a stand and bench for just over a grand. Yamaha keys seem a bit heavier than others - Now that I'm used to playing the p255, I play most other pianos a little louder than I intend to.

For those wanting a software "piano" I strongly urge them to try the demo of Modartt Pianoteq.

The piano sound of this ultra low hit progg' was always said to be good. The latest incarnation is said to be even better.

Pretty cheap too!

Dave.

Back