Looking for MIDI recording software

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
I am looking into buying software that I can record MIDI with. I currently use Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition) as my main recording tool but it barely has any MIDI functions so I have to look elsewhere. I'm looking for something that is easy to use since I'm very new to MIDI (meaning I haven't even worked with it yet) and something that wouldn't take an extreme amount of time out of my time to figure out.

1) Ability to export MIDI files into another program such as Cool Edit Pro.
2) Ability to use VST/DX plugins.
3) Ability to use VST instruments and/or SoftSynths, something like Sampletank.
4) Easy to use MIDI recording for someone beginning in this field but advanced enough for a moderate user.
5) MIDI editing features

Any recommendations would be helpful. I would like to get into the world of MIDI as soon as possible.

Sonar 3 Producer is my suggestion. It will do all these things. It was very easy for me to learn (back when I got Sonar 1). It's very intuitive. Comes with about 5 softsynths plus a sampler (VSampler). It supports Rewire so you can control other great software like Reason (check this program out too, it's really awesome). You can get a demo of Sonar at cakewalk.com and a demo of Reason at propellerheads.se

Yasoo said:
Sonar 3 Producer is my suggestion. It will do all these things. It was very easy for me to learn (back when I got Sonar 1). It's very intuitive. Comes with about 5 softsynths plus a sampler (VSampler). It supports Rewire so you can control other great software like Reason (check this program out too, it's really awesome). You can get a demo of Sonar at cakewalk.com and a demo of Reason at propellerheads.se

You're kidding, right??? $400 for MIDI only?

Start of with something like Cakewalk Home Studio 2004. It is basically the same thing as Sonar 2. It will cost you $100 max. You will need to buy Cakwalk's VST to DXi adapter separately, but that's only around $40-50.

If you outgrow that, then you can upgrade to Sonar 3 for alot less than what it would cost to buy Sonar 3 right away.

Noteworthy Composer.

Full scoring, and full midi sequencer, for next to nothing. Rock solid, stable, compact, and good sensible features. Saves and loads files in its own format, and also saves and loads midi format.

Free to try, $39 to register.

www.noteworthysoftware.com

Back