Looking for a Keyboard for live and studio use. Any suggestions?

hybridsound

Hello all.

I want to buy a good keyboard to use in the studio and for live applications as well.

I play Metal/Industrial style music and I need something with good synths and sounds.

My price range is $2,000 - 2,500. Can you help me?

P.S. 61 keys will do me just fine.

Right now, I'm using a RadioShack P.O.S..

How about the Yamaha ES6?

It looks great and the sounds are amazing!

Will this work for what I'm looking for?

Right in my price range, too!

$2500 will buy 90% of the keyboards on the market.
Do you have a music store anywhere near to check out different models?
What are your needs? Sampling? Sequencing? Or just sounds?
For metal/industrial a virtual analog synth would be good.

yamaha motif ES6

I just purchased a month old Motif ES6 on ebay for $1599!!!...40 dollars shipping but that beats the $2350 list price...i have not received keyboard but have heard tremendous things...patiently awaiting delivery....should get it next week...look on ebay!

Re: yamaha motif ES6

austexman said:
I just purchased a month old Motif ES6 on ebay for $1599!!!...40 dollars shipping but that beats the $2350 list price...i have not received keyboard but have heard tremendous things...patiently awaiting delivery....should get it next week...look on ebay!

That is a bad ass keyboard.

glad to hear it...i've never even played one...i felt much more confident about my purchase after watching paul mccartney on d.v.d. this afternoon and noticed the keyboardist has a motif 7...

i believe the ES has been expanded with more sounds and options....correct?

I believe the concert is in L.A....there are tons of stars in the audience, jack nicholson, john cusak...it's paul's last tour in the U.S....fantastic...he has the big drummer (abe) and all the other
fantastic musicians...great harmonies....awesome!

can you get the triton extreme for $1600?

Som Motif units have had problems with timing in multi-timbral mode. So for the studio, check that you can actually get the unit to accept a multi-timbral sequence without problems.

This issue has been noted in several magazine review columns.

I'm not criticizing Yamaha - they usually make good gear.

Just want to be certain you don't end up inheriting a beast that only really works reliably in mono-timbral mode.

I'm surprised no-one here has mentioned it. Perhaps the problem isn't in the keyboards - just the rack versions.

That article makes no mention of the es series. I would guess it was written before their release. It also reads like the problem is indeed a motif rack problem and not a motif problem... They're pretty much completely different machines as the function chart illustrates. Good info for anyone looking into the motif rack though.

I've never really cared for the "old" motif's that much, but I got a good demo on the es6 and it made me drool. $1599's a pretty good deal.

lumbago said:
Som Motif units have had problems with timing in multi-timbral mode. So for the studio, check that you can actually get the unit to accept a multi-timbral sequence without problems.

This issue has been noted in several magazine review columns.

I'm not criticizing Yamaha - they usually make good gear.

Just want to be certain you don't end up inheriting a beast that only really works reliably in mono-timbral mode.

I'm surprised no-one here has mentioned it. Perhaps the problem isn't in the keyboards - just the rack versions.

The Motif, ES and rack versions all run different version OS'. MY Motif 6 has the latest version OS and I have not noticed any problems with timing.

Back