Looking for free sampler

pennylink

I'm a guitarist/bassist who just started getting into MIDI, but on a very limited budget (do I hear $0.00?), and I would like to take advantage of all the soundfonts that are out there.

Is there any FREE sampler or other free software (not demo) that can import and play soundfonts in Sonar 2.2 using a MIDI controller/keyboard? I'm looking to use organic-sounding instruments rather than synth-based sounds.

BTW, I use Sonar 2.2 on a PIII/800 with 512 RAM (Windows 98SE), with dual hard drives. I do have the Cakewalk VST wrapper installed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

I don't know the answer to your question, but I recommend you do either a google search or go over to Harmony Central.com and check out their Midi section, which includes links to midi software which can be downloaded. Some is shareware, some is freeware. You might find what you are looking for.

I think LiveSynth (which I think is included with Sonar) can play Soundfonts. If not there are free VST soundfont players, but you'd need a VST-DirectX wrapper to work in sonar. check out
www.kvr-vst.com for options.

The DR-002 and DR-008 samplers are free downloads from FXPansion, but I dont know about directx capability

-Chris

i don't know if it is what you are looking for, but Computer Music magazine gives away a free sampler, the DS-404. You'll have to pay the price of the magazine but that's it.

XerXes said:
i don't know if it is what you are looking for, but Computer Music magazine gives away a free sampler, the DS-404. You'll have to pay the price of the magazine but that's it.

Here's a link:
http://www.computermusic.co.uk/about/ds404.asp

Dunno if you can download the VSTi itself, but there's plenty of info. Mag's about $13 at Border's and Barnes & Noble - also comes with free sequencer, softsynth, a couple of drum machines, 303-style bass --- c'mon, you'll love it!!

Daf

I checked out Chrisjob's link to www.kvr-vst.com, and found a lot of synth options, including many free ones that are excellent (FreeAlpha, Crystal, Synth1).

Beltrom, on the same website I did come across the rgc:audio sfz sampler you suggest. It's about the only free sampler I found there, so I downloaded it! Works well, even though it's pretty basic as far as effects go, but I definitely can't complain since it's free!

I haven't looked into the DS-404 from Computer Music magazine yet, but I will.

Thank you all for your recommendations. Looks like with your help I'm well on my way...

Back