Korg sp-100 is this a good deal? Is there something better for what I need?

Mommamusic

I'm looking at getting a used korg sp-100 keyboard. It comes with a Roland kc-300 amp and a few accessories like a bag and stand and the sustain pedal. She is asking 500 for it. Is that a good deal? I can't find info on this model or anything really to compare it to.

I direct a children's singing group. This year we are doing the show "the best christmas pageant ever.". The place we are renting to perform and practice in doesn't have a piano. So here some things that are important to me...

1. I've been playing and teaching piano for 25 years so the more it feels and sounds like the real thing, the better. I don't know a lot about the digital type stuff though so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. it's gotta have the full keyboard, weighted like an actual piano, and the sustain pedal needs to work just like a real piano.
2. I guess I need an amp for something like this right? That way the sound goes farther etc? Is that amp a good one? I honestly have no clue.
3. I would love to be able to record the songs into the piano so some kids can practice singing while I'm directing others kids on acting etc. I don't want to have to re-record the songs every time I turn the piano on. I could probably live without this option though if I'm getting a good deal.
4. It would be an added bonus if the keyboard had an input for microphone so they were both coming out of the amp. Again though, I have no idea...maybe something like that is way more money.

There is also a few casio brand keyboards for sale close to me. They are around 300 but don't come with an amp.

I'm totally new here and my questions are probably so dumb. I really could use some helpful hints from all you smarties out there though. Just from my short bit if browsing this site...there is a wealth of information here. So, thanks in advance for helping this newbie!

I'm not sure how old the sp 100 is but it will be better than the casio for sure. 500 is a pretty good price considering the roland amps are great and are pretty costly, and Korg makes great keyboards. See if you can talk her down a little bit considering the keyboard is probably ten years old but I'd say go for it if she wont budge. The sp 100 is a professional stage piano so it is a performing instrument. It might have a sequencer to record several tracks but im not sure. And it doesnt need a mic input because the 1st channel of the kc 300 is a mic/line input.

I'm totally new here and my questions are probably so dumb. I really could use some helpful hints from all you smarties out there though. Just from my short bit if browsing this site...there is a wealth of information here. So, thanks in advance for helping this newbie!

The only dumb question, is the one that is never asked.
We all start somewhere right?
$500 is a fair price for the SP-100 & KC-300 if they are in excellent condition.
From reading your post,..I would say the SP-100 is spot on for what you'd like to do.
Make sure the seller has everything that came with the SP-100 for that price. (manuals, power supply, pedal, etc.)
Also make sure the speaker in the KC-300 is not blown. Roland makes some pretty good keyboard amps, and they usually hold up pretty well.
I would try to get the seller down to $425-$450 cash in hand. Most likely they will not refuse.
I would most definitely never pay $300 for a Casio. That is just my opinion though.
Most high end Casio's will sell for a lot less than that, especially used.
I buy a lot of them cheap for circuit bending art.
All in all, I would try to get the seller down a bit in price,..and if it's not possible,..I would still consider $500 a fair price for both
the SP-100 & KC-300 "IF" they are in great condition.
Welcome to the forums!

I sooooo appreciate the responses. It's tough to buy something like this used when you don't know a ton about it anyway. I haven't found a ton of reviews or anything online either. Probably because it is older. Is it really a 10 year old model? I guess I just need to ask how old it is. Any other helpful hints are greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch! I'll let ya know if I get it.

Back