Korg Poly 800/EX 800 Question.

crush

I have the module version, of the Korg Poly 800,
the EX 800.
I know you can save and load sounds from regular cassette(ugg!)
tape.
My question is,what is the wire that is used,
is it a plain old regular mono wire with a 1/8 plug to a RCA plug?
I hope someone out there has one of these still.
I bought this module used back in the late 1980's for $95.00 USD, and I just hooked it up tonight, the thing still runs awesome! Really cool analog strings and bass sounds.
Thinking of using it in a few new songs that I'm writing.
It was made in 1985.
I'm new here, and I hope it is O.K. for me to post this analog synth module.
Thanks,
crush :)

wow... cool piece...
but loading sounds from casette????? i'm not quite sure i'm following... this is a midi controlled device.. you should be able to load and save patches in midi...

you are talking about patches right?
if you wanna record the sounds, you can record them on anything you want, but the EX itself can't record sounds... if that's what you mean, then it's stereo cable you need...

Chriss:
wow... cool piece...
but loading sounds from casette????? i'm not quite sure i'm following... this is a midi controlled device.. you should be able to load and save patches in midi...

Thanks for your reply. :) There is a 1/8 jack on the back of the module and a switch that you can toggle to have all the sounds in the banks saved to a regular casstte tape. If you play the cassette tape back in a regular home stereo or boom box, it sounds like computer noise. I use to do this, with this module, but I forget if the audio cable that I need is just a regular male mono 1/8 to a RCA male plug. I think I'll just go out and buy a cable and try it out.

I don't think that I can save patchs via midi, it has midi posts on the back. I think your talking about "SysEx"?

I love this module, because I get such a nice "fat" sound out of it, it's nice to layer it with my other "legacy" synths. :D
Thanks again for the reply.
crush

arcaxis:
The cables should be shielded and mono (just a tip and sleeve on the 1/8" plug (stereo would be tip, ring, & sleeve)). It may be difficult to find a cable with 1/8" phone to RCA, but if you have a Radio Shack store nearby, you could easily find some adapters to get you there.

Thanks Man! That's just the info I needed. And yep, I am going down to the Radio Shack.

One more question, is there any sites that you know of, that
have patchs as .WAV files for the Poly-800 / EX 800?

Thanks again, :D
crush

heheee, that's whack :D
SysEx is midi too... but since they have this casette tape option, it might not be able to save patches via midi...

Back