Korg MS2000 broken?

Giganova

gimmi your mic!
hi --

I have n MS2000R which stopped working all of a sudden: when I switch it on, the display and the 1/INST 2/VOICE switch on. However, the 1/Inst 2/Voice switch off after 2 seconds and the display is light, but stays blank. No other LED comes on.

Any ideas what I could do??

How long have you had it? It may have had a defective memory battery or maybe it just ran out. That's a guess but I hope this is not what is in store for my MS2000.:( :confused:

I had it for 2 years now. Intreresting what you say about the battery! This was the first time in 2 years I un-plugged it for a few weeks. It had always been plugged in before, and was even switched on most of the time. When I plugged in in again, it did't start. Do you think I can open the box and search for a battery?

You could but I highly doubt it would have drained in two years. More like ten. Maybe keeping it on so often overcharged it and caused it to die before it's time. If I were you I would email Korg. For all we know there is a common problem that has a simple fix.
My Lexicon MPX1 had a thing where it locked up looking for a digital clock signal and I thought it was toast. The Lexicon support guy told me to hold down a button or something while powering it up and down and it was fixed like magic.
I would email them before you try anything.

The Korg support said it could be the power supply. If it was the internal battery, all the programs would be set to "Init PROG".

I opened the MS2000 and didn't find any fuse or battery. Next I checked the power supply, and noticed that it produced 13Volts instead of 9V. However, I also have a Korg EM-1 which essentially uses the same power supply: also 13V! The EM-1 works fine, and if I use that power supply with the MS2000, it still doesn't work. I also tried resetting the device to the factory deaults, but it wouldn't let me do it coz it doesn't respond to any keys.

Guess I have to send it out to get serviced. Damnit!

I am aware that the power supply should have a nominal of 9V/500mA, but that's the original power supply that came with the MS2000R. I've used it for almost 2 years. Maybe it got zapped by a recent spike in the power outage during a storm??

Interstingly, the power supply of my Electribe EM-1 also produces 13V, instead of the 9V. The EM-1 works fine, though. Puzzling. The MS2000R doesn't work with that power supply.

Giganova said:
I am aware that the power supply should have a nominal of 9V/500mA, but that's the original power supply that came with the MS2000R. I've used it for almost 2 years. Maybe it got zapped by a recent spike in the power outage during a storm??

Interstingly, the power supply of my Electribe EM-1 also produces 13V, instead of the 9V. The EM-1 works fine, though. Puzzling. The MS2000R doesn't work with that power supply.

You've used the 13v power supply for 2 yrs?

The em1 obviously uses 13v... The ms2000 does not. And wether you used it or not you definitely risk damaging the unit by using the wrong power supply. I repeat... You are going to, or have fucked it up already if you are using the 13v power supply. They are not interchangeable. Try using another 500ma/9v power supply and if it doesn't work send it in because it's most likely fried.

well, both units came with the original power supply, which I've used since. Its printed "9V/500mA" on both power supplies.

korg power issue

hey ,

i think what he is saying is simple. he has tested the power supply on the circuit and its reading 13v.

the reason for this is because you are not getting full power to the rest of the circuit so its overloaded. if you have power everywhere it would dial down to 9v.

i just repaired one of these and it was a total nightmare. I had the same issue, 13v going in. D3 had blown and I had to replace IC7. finally got power everywhere, crazy

the reason for this is because you are not getting full power to the rest of the circuit so its overloaded. if you have power everywhere it would dial down to 9v.

glad you got yours working but your explanation here suks hard...

what you're seeing is the power supply not underload is reading higher... it's not unusual for wall warts in particular to read high while not underload... dont have a schemo here but would bet d3 is a zener offering a bit of regulation... and that it had blown when ic7 shot craps...

Haha, its been 14 years since I started the thread ... I don't even remember that I had a Korg MS2000! LOL

Back