Keyboard vs guitar

CarcPazu

Hi,

I just bought a MIDI controler (Evolution MK-425C). I'm a mostly a guitar player, but I needed one to put some ambiant sound on my project.

I don't really know how the keys work. I'm sure I can figure the keys out somewhere on the net. But I'd like to hear from other guitarist who found a way to transpose their guitar knowledge on the keyboard.

What I'd like to know is if someone made somekind of visual chart in tablature to help them recognize the keys as if they were on a guitar neck? Like powerchords etc. In the meantime I'll google this and if I come up with something I'll post it here.

Thanks

i don't believe that "tablature" would be practical for a piano.. you'd probably end up with something like "68-66-64" as a chord form and counting down from 88 would be a huge pain.. trust me, learning how to read "fake books" which are just the treble clef with an accompanying guitar chord (in "tab") will really help you learn to play the piano.

If I was you learn some music theory while you use the above. Its really much better to read music, than tabs or anything else (not to seem like I'm talking down to you, I'm still really sucky at applying sheet music to guitar. I'm a little better at keyboard, but only a little!)

As long as you know some music theory, that will go a long way towards going between guitar and keyboard. Keep working on it, its tough. I still have a long way to go!

I suppose I didn't actually answer your question, but there it is! :D

I just learn "chords" with my left hand so left of middle C. I learnt all the major, minor, dim...etc. chords. basic chords you use in song progression. and i use my right hand, right of middle C, for doing melody. or I will use just one or the other, mixed with guitar naturally. I havent made any songs strictly with piano. but i might. :p

Very weird stuff I'm about to report ....

I've playing guitar for 26 years, and keyboards for the last 10. Both self taught and by ear or tabs but never by sheet music (too slow to read and play, but I can read).
I play guitar right handed, which means I chords with the left hand.

However, for playing my synth, I can't play a chord with my left hand, maybe an octave of the same note.
So, I play one note basslines for the chord with my left hand, at best.
This has been a major stumbling block.

What's even weirder is I chord with my right hand on the synth on the left half, and play lead lines, crossing over to the right half of the synth with my left hand.

PS: I bat and play hockey left handed, shovel snow too. I golf right handed, and throw right handed.
I don't think I'm alone.

it's probably a training issue, it took me years to be able to play naturally with my left hand on piano. my theory is that although the left hand moves more accurately on guitar (making chord formations and such) it's more muscle memory than actual dexterity. the right hand, however, needs to be both accurate and quick in both finger style and picking.. maybe this has something to do with it.. honestly, i have no idea.

since this was a pretty useless post i'll recommend the following:

practice "boogie woogie" piano to speed up your left hand
practice "ragtime" to become more accurate with your left hand

Left Hand1-3-5-8/ Right Hand 3-5-8

Ie-(C) c-e-g-c/e-g-c ;)

This is a very "full" stucture and you can use it all over the board. Manipulate this for your minors and #/b's.

Read through this a bit and brush up your theory first.

http://chordmaps.com/

i'm not a huge fan of chording on the left.. i like playing straight octaves, mainly because i usually play with a band and don't want to compete with the bass player. if you're playing solo piano then yes, i'd agree; but in a band setting the piano is pretty much a right hand instrument.

guitar pro is a pretty cool program for guitarists and u can have fretboard or keyboard pics of the notes which will show u what keys equate to what notes. It also shows scales and arps for both which can be good, has heaps of wierd ones to spice things up. Music theory would be helpful, for guitar too not just keyboard...not that i know much :)

shiatzu said:
i'm not a huge fan of chording on the left.. i like playing straight octaves, mainly because i usually play with a band and don't want to compete with the bass player. if you're playing solo piano then yes, i'd agree; but in a band setting the piano is pretty much a right hand instrument.

I agree with both points. Although, Bass Players (Not defenite but"""""most of the time"""")will generally Go for the Root/5th/octave on a phrase and only 1 note at a time. (unless they were chording a Phrase, in which case they'd probably be in a higher register anyway.) Even if you omit the 1, you still have 2/7 open for melodic interpretation and depending on the stlye, (assuming that its not a very blocky chord player) Playing full left hand chords shouldnt interfere with the bass signals at all. As a matter of fact, when executed properly, they should sit in harmonic bliss. Listen to any Billy Joel song for examples of this. He is very full on the left and seemingly easily demonstrates how bass and piano atcually go together very well. Sort of like an addictive personality+recording Equipment.(self tout) But anyway this is just my 2cents (Actually Equates to 1.625 but who's counting!?) To each his own. For a beginner, which I think this thread was from, it would be wise to approach Piano in a traditional manner and make your own opinions once your a bit seasoned. :)

Back