Keyboard / synth for live performances....

toemaster

I've searched somewhat unsuccessfully so here I go. I play guitar in a power pop / punk / new wavish band called the Tiles. We kind of have a killers sound so to speak. Presently, we do not incorporate any keyboards or synths into our live performances. I will be playing 50% of our set on keys and the remaining on guitar. I know very little about keyboards. I do know the notes and some basic chord structures. That's about it. I will mainly be doing more melody types of lines and possibly some basic chords. I don't require any strings or any piano sounds. I looking for a fairly inexpensive keyboard (less than $700 if possible) for this. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

I recommend this.

It's a 'virtual analog' synth and for that new wave/power pop sound that you are doing you need a bunch of Moog-ish leads and bases and plenty of various organ sounds, both cheesy and non-cheesy.

It's also cheap and small so it will be easy to carry around and set up.

i love my ion (micron's big brother), very smooth sounding. great for analog lead sounds like ssscientist said.

Best Live keyboard Rig

This last week my Alesis QL6.2 died...I thought...(Ended up being a bad RAM card was causing the board to freek out)
Anyway...did some serious shopping for low end synths...
Juno...Touted as the best full flegged synth... Although I thought the keyboard action sucked
and the sounds are to similar to my JV90.
Yamaha MM6 (MiniMo or Mini Motif). Although its mad in the PSR factory it did have some rad sounds and the arpeggiator was very cool...Upgraded beats & was easy to get around too.
My issue with the minimo was that it was to deep 15 inches ( im using it as my top board on an APEX so it would have covered my JV90)
Korg X50...I really enjoyed playing...I thought it had exellent synth & pop sounds looked cool.
My only issue with the Korg is that the navigation was bogus...Its got a lillte laptop mouse/button thing that really blows... But all and all I thing I will get the Korg...The piano sounds on the Yamaha & the keyboard action was best..But I really liked the cool synth sounds that Korg is famous for.

James

Although I couldnt find any great reviews...I did a youtube search to find people or demonstrators of all boards above.

This last week my Alesis QL6.2 died...I thought...(Ended up being a bad RAM card was causing the board to freek out)
Anyway...did some serious shopping for low end synths...
Juno...Touted as the best full flegged synth... Although I thought the keyboard action sucked
and the sounds are to similar to my JV90.
Yamaha MM6 (MiniMo or Mini Motif). Although its mad in the PSR factory it did have some rad sounds and the arpeggiator was very cool...Upgraded beats & was easy to get around too.
My issue with the minimo was that it was to deep 15 inches ( im using it as my top board on an APEX so it would have covered my JV90)
Korg X50...I really enjoyed playing...I thought it had exellent synth & pop sounds looked cool.
My only issue with the Korg is that the navigation was bogus...Its got a lillte laptop mouse/button thing that really blows... But all and all I thing I will get the Korg...The piano sounds on the Yamaha & the keyboard action was best..But I really liked the cool synth sounds that Korg is famous for.

James

Although I couldnt find any great reviews...I did a youtube search to find people or demonstrators of all boards above.

I own an X50 and an mm6. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. The mm6 is the better sounding keyboard overall, and its incredibly simple to use.
It has some baffling flaws, like the lack of mono/portamento. You cant name performances, which is just plain stupid unless you can memorize 64 of them.:rolleyes: But the bread n butter sounds are way better than the X50 or JunoD with a few exceptions.

The X50 can do amazing, complex stuff. You can play a combi and it sounds like 12 people playing.:D Some of the bread n butter sounds (organs, epianos, drums) are very good. Pianos and guitars arent in the same league as the mm6 though. Its great for synthy, ambient stuff. The keybed is lousy and its poorly built, but it's still one heck of a unit.

If I had to choose one, I would go with the mm6. Most people would probably choose the Korg, but I love the layout of the mm6 and the ease of use. It cant do all the fancy stuff the X50 can, in fact it's very limited and has few features. To me, the mm6 sounds and feels more like a "musical instrument". The ease of use makes it my go to board for writing, I write all my stuff on it. I even use the onboard scratchpad sequencer: If I am jamming and come up with something, I just press record and dont have to mess with the computer.

Best Live keyboard Rig

WOW!!! Thanks David K....That was very helpful.....Thanks

My big issue is that I own a Yamaha PSR520 as a practice board, I would never take it on stage as it looks like a toy....Other issues is that I play on an APex column and the PSR and the MM6 are 15" deep. This completely covers my JV90 on the bottom tier. Not related to sound of course, but is an issue for me...so the smaller 10" deep X50 fits perfect.
Issue #2 The MM6 is really just an upgrade on the PSR520....80% of the sounds are the same....the other 20% are related to the "Motif" engine....So for $600 buck I don't feel its really an upgrade to me. The drum kits are better and the arpeggiator <<<<<(Spelling?)was cool.
What about the navigation on the X50....is it sucky-er or what? Can you make a user bank? or call up presets for live gigs easy? or do I always use the mouse thing?
Even though I am really looking for (Meat & Potatoes) sounds....And I am in a classic rock band that would never allow me to play the cooler synth sounds, I am drawn towards the Korg.......For a secondary ---Top keyboard.......Pianos, ep's Brass, strings,,,,and a few organs....Would I be OK with the Korg X50? Or is it a piece of crap?

Thanks again
James
PS My alesis QS6.2 has killer pianos....& synth...everything else kinda blows...More POP less rock.

What about the navigation on the X50....is it sucky-er or what?
Suck-ey:D Very difficult to get around. I hate that joystick thing, I wish I could rip it out.:D The screen is small and difficult to see. There is of course a nice software editor so you can do it on your computer. Onboard navigation is not user-friendly at all. Yes, you can store your edits, so in time it should be fine once you get accustomed to getting it around.

Other issues is that I play on an APex column and the PSR and the MM6 are 15" deep
Yup, its a big boy. Ridicuously light, it feels like a prop. When I first opened the box, I thought I only had part of it! It weighs like 11 pounds.

Even though I am really looking for (Meat & Potatoes) sounds....And I am in a classic rock band that would never allow me to play the cooler synth sounds, I am drawn towards the Korg.......For a secondary ---Top keyboard.......Pianos, ep's Brass, strings,,,,and a few organs....Would I be OK with the Korg X50? Or is it a piece of crap?

Not a piece of crap. Its an amazing unit in many ways, the combi programs are awesome. The main flaw: it's poorly built. I dont gig with mine, it never leaves my studio. Even so, the connections in the back really worry me. My concern is that it wouldnt hold up to the rigors of moving it around to gigs.
Its a Korg Triton engine in the body of a toy, instead of a tank. Soundwise it makes your Alesis (I have one too) seem like something from the 1940s.:D It has a VERY advanced engine.

There is a website called Korgforums I think. You might go there and see if people are having problems who gig with it. As long as it can hold up, its a nice unit.

If your into KORG, save your money and get a TR61 :)

Not a bad idea if you can swing it. Same engine exactly ( I think), same sounds. Better build though, it has aftertouch, sequencer and an optional sample card. Aftertouch might be pretty cool, since the Korg is more synth-oriented and that might make cool effects.

Back