keyboard for studio

Atkron205

I am looking to get a keyboard for my studio, I am not a keyboard player and am completely ignorant to them. I am looking for a all in one unit, like a workstation. something that will do piano, synthesizer, strings, etc. my idea is to have something available that would serve most keyboard needs. Thanks everyone!:facepalm:

Frankly your post is way too vague to help much. What's your budget? What are you going to use it for and how? Do you plan to learn how to play (at least to some basic level) or are you just using it to have access to other simulated instrument sounds? etc etc.

Nord, or maybe a Korg. Depends too on if you wanted plastic keys with pitchbend or weighted keys for any pianists?

The Yamaha is nice - IF, and only if you need that sound set.

I watched the demo and I like the sounds it has, the guitar player I play with plays keys and we mess around with it, he has this Casio thing that sounds like ass, plus I want it for backline, I have a guitar and bass amp, this will pretty complete the gear I want to have available for use. Thanks!:D

If you're recording into a computer (DAW) then you'd be best served getting a load of useful VSTs (Komplete Elements could be a good starting point) and a midi-keyboard.
A midi-keyboard (or midi controller) has no sounds but allows you to trigger and/or control the sounds created within you computer (VSTs) by laying down midi notes in your sequencer (DAW).
It's less complex than I'm making it sound I promise!

There's loads of decent midi-keyboards about... I like my Novation Impulse49 it's got a lot of control options and a decent enough keybed with aftertouch.

It's less complex than I'm making it sound I promise!
'Tis true!
Further, any keyboard that squirts MIDI will suffice. Even that Casio that you don't like. Just don't connect the audio and use the keys to trigger VST soft-synths. Then you could get by without buying ANY keyboard.

Ponder5

Akai LPK25 to the rescue. Less than 100 bucks and sturdy as a horse. Get it and you'll love it! UPDATE: Or if you are a 3d printing guru, you can print your own synth ;) - Not sure how it will turn out but love to see it. I hear they already have 3d printed guitars then why not Synths?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Korg Kross comes in around the same price as the yamaha and has the advantage of having a 16 part sequencer on board... Synth engines good but better edited through the free software that comes with it. Good pianos and EP's, re rest is usable

Akai LPK25 to the rescue. Less than 100 bucks and sturdy as a horse. Get it and you'll love it! UPDATE: Or if you are a 3d printing guru, you can print your own synth ;) - Not sure how it will turn out but love to see it. I hear they already have 3d printed guitars then why not Synths?

I had one, its not as good as the irig keys in build quality...plus when I bought the irig I got sampletank 3 for free, ($249 value, 30Gb sounds) even without the promo you get Sampletank LE which has loads of usable sounds.

But these are for out and about, not for "studio use" imo

I am looking to get a keyboard for my studio, I am not a keyboard player and am completely ignorant to them. I am looking for a all in one unit, like a workstation. something that will do piano, synthesizer, strings, etc. my idea is to have something available that would serve most keyboard needs. Thanks everyone!:facepalm:

personally i would recommend you buying a 25key midi controller with an incorprated drumpad. you will be able to do everything that you said in your post. im currently using the akai mpk mini. ive been doing music for only 8 months and im already making beats for some local rappers

If I were buying another keyboard, I'd go VST and get a good MIDI keyboard with weighted keys.

The Korg Kross comes in around the same price as the yamaha and has the advantage of having a 16 part sequencer on board... Synth engines good but better edited through the free software that comes with it. Good pianos and EP's, re rest is usable
It's also waaaaaaaay more expensive than a MIDI keyboard. If the "feel" of the keyboard is important, I agree it's worth a look, but getting the impression that probably doesn't matter much......

If I were buying another keyboard, I'd go VST and get a good MIDI keyboard with weighted keys.
There are MIDI keyboards with weighted keys?

Isn't that kind of like getting out the good china for a cookout? ;)

It's also waaaaaaaay more expensive than a MIDI keyboard. If the "feel" of the keyboard is important, I agree it's worth a look, but getting the impression that probably doesn't matter much......

There are MIDI keyboards with weighted keys?

Isn't that kind of like getting out the good china for a cookout? ;)

It's a bit more like simply using cutlery to eat: definitely not a luxury to everyone, except the most uncivilized.

But I'll agree that with this player, he's probably not into it enough to worry. So that opens up a lot of options in the cheaper ranges.

However, in answer to your question, yes, there are actually some very nice midi keyboards with very realistic actions. This matters or not, depending on one's keyboard ability. After securing that, it comes down to processing that action into a realistic and progressive piano sound (if that's the goal). That's best done by VSTs for the moment. Either that or huge multi-layered samples.

Just for the average triggering of bleeps and burps, any keyboard will suffice.

Ponder5

I am a keyboard player. I would ask myself what type of sounds I need. If you need a piano sound and you have a real live player coming in to record, a weighted keyboard would be what you need. I personally do not like in-the-box instruments. There is usually too much delay with virtual instruments. Even with a 20 msec round trip from the keyboard to the speakers I find the delay unacceptable. That's just me. There are plenty of folks who use the virtual instruments. I have collected a bunch of keyboards and modules to use in my studio. I have one weighted 88note keyboard, and the rest are synth style plastic keyboards. Going in this direction allows me to not have to keep updating plug ins.

Back