Kawai Action Question

Robert27191

Hi all,

I'll try and condense this as much as possible. I am a pianist, who enjoys nothing more than playing a real, acoustic instrument. However, I am also a realist with neighbours who don't always love noise, and I love recording in my home studio, on macbook and PC. Therefore I need a digital equivalent for those situations.

For a number of years I have had a Kurzweil SP4-8. It has served me well and done exactly what I wanted. However, I have realised over time that playing it on a regular basis has ruined my technique, and I have been looking for months for a keyboard/digital piano with as close-to-real-action as possible.

I have of course examined the exquisite VPC-1. This seems to be the ultimate controller for piano realism, but it also required constant VST's being available.

I have recently examined the MP11. I see that the VPC-1 uses the RM3 Grand II, whereas the MP11 uses the slightly newer Grand Feel action. Firstly, are their any major differences between the two? I know on paper the GF is longer and has the pivot point sent further back - but in real terms, let's be honest - is there a difference?

My main question is would it be fair to say - action difference aside - that the MP11 is the stage-piano equivalent of the VPC-1? I was close to being sold on the VPC-1 but the niggle was having no onboard sounds - often I'm just a guy who wants to sit down and play. Seeing the MP11 has peaked my interest - and I want to know, if I buy the MP11, will I be sacrificing the true, realistic action in the VPC-1, for the onboard sounds of the MP11 - or is the GF action every bit as good and true as the RM3 Grand II?

I have heard a few negative reports of the GF action - bounciness and perceived lightness - and want to be sure the VPC-1 doesn't have a far better action. This I hope will be the last digital I buy for 15+ years, and realism in the action is my #1 priority.

Apologies for the length of the post.

TIA

Robert

Back