I need a 61 note midi controller for a Nord Electro 2 Rack

TheLSC

I was using an E-MU Xboard 61 with the Nord and had been happily for a couple of years, but the Xboard started to crap out on me.

The function i REALLY liked was that I could assign program changes to various buttons on the Xboard and have everything lined up for patch changes on the fly for live gigs.

I have been looking into alternatives to replace it and there seems to be nothing. In fact I have bought a Behringer umx610 and it does not do the job. Only CC values can be assigned to the buttons, not program change commands.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a midi controller that could replace the Xboard for less than £200 (roughly)

Last edited:
The KeyLab 61 from Arturia is one of few that still has assignable push buttons. So many have gone to faders, knobs and pads that it's hard to find one that actually has some push buttons.

Another thing you can try. Most have user definable areas that you can set up. Make one of the user areas for your gig space. Set the sounds up in line there before each gig, and then just cycle through.

Gosh, just looked up the Arturia and its more than I can afford. I need to add that my maximum budget would be about £200.

Start reading user manuals to find out what's going to get you running.
THIS ONE (watch the videos) might be up your alley as well.

I like the look of that too.

Just called the shop I bought the Behringer from and they are willing to do me a deal on the Alesis as well as a no quibble 28 day return if it doesn't work. I just downloaded the controller software and it looks like program changes can be assigned to all the switches, plus its semi weighted so I am going to go for it. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I get on!

The Alesis is fantastic. Great feeling keys and all the functionality I needed. The editor works perfectly too. 10/10.

Back