How To Learn Modular Synthesis?

AfxTwn

Hi everyone, I have been watching a lot of the Sonicstate videos and have started to covet more and more the various modular synths they feature but have no idea how to use them or how to get started. I was hoping people here might be able to point me in the right direction. I have some basic knowledge of synths as I have a Microkorg and a Monotribe and will be getting a Microbrute and have played on a few others but I know that those are a world away from proper modular synthesis.

In particular I quite fancy the new Korg MS20 Desktop Kit which looks and sounds fantastic. It comes with the SQ-1 sequencer which looks like good fun to use and a little different from a keyboard way of inputting notes. Is there anything else there that is great for complete beginners to get started on whilst at the same time being remotely affordable? I don't really want to go spending a lot of money on something I have no understanding of and feel overwhelmed and give up as a result. With things like my Microkorg and the Volca's, I just messed about with them, twiddling knobs etc before I got some sounds I like but in a roundabout way, I was learning what each knob did and how it effects the sound. Modular's on the other hand look extremely complicated and so I don't known if you can take the same approach with them. I don't want to feel like those synths are for experts and professionals only but at the same time should a beginner and home hobbyist like me really be diving into that world?

Any thoughts would be great.

You would love Reason. Thor (polysonic), Maelstrom (graintable), Subtractor (subtractive), all built in plus available for hire, PX7 (FM synthesis) and Parsec (additive). With the combination, there isn't a sound you can think that you cannot make... Much cheaper to learn on than the real thing.
Anyway, afa sweeping lfo's into VCO/A's and adding filters and such, portamento and glissando, I'm okay with digital synts (additive, subtracive, FM synthesis, etc.) But when it comes to CV manipulation, I'm not the guy to ask.

Yes I've briefly had a go of Reason and it was good (although a little complicated and overwhelming) but I was looking for something more hardware-based really as I'm a bit more hands-on but having said that, I'm not adverse to trying software as long as I can find some good step-by-step tutorials etc or a good book to read rather than the manual.

I like being able to take my gadgets to a friends house or when they come over, to have a play around and software just doesn't provide that instant quick-play factor that ends up turning into a long knob-twiddling session. I can really get lost in using my synths and gadgets in a way I don't with software, plus sitting a couple feet away and staring at a bright monitor for a few hours isn't great for my eyes etc. I think it's just that tactile feel you get from twiddling knobs that has really sucked me in over the past few years since starting making music. Modulars have that tenfold plus a load of cables to plug in and out but as you said, the cost is significantly more than the software alternatives and I suppose I could always get a MIDI controller of some sort.

I believe there's an m20 for iPad, virtual cables though...
Anyway, hands on IS way more fun. Funny how when it's not your primary, the focus is "get it done" and yet I spend a lot of time experimenting with piano and guitar wankery...
Sorry I'm not much help. I really think that Reason is the easiest work flow in the world, but my studio experience was with a 9000J and lots of live performance got me ready for their rack system. Just love changing patch cables around and ...rambling. :)

The software versions I have of synths I had back in my twenties are pretty much the same as the originals, and frankly any form of on-line instruction will be pretty useless because, as you said - you're hands on, and you need to hear what happens when you turn the knobs - the reaction when a note is being played, and you tweak as you press down keys. I like real knobs, and hate on screen ones - and even bought a Behringer controller a few years ago to solve this one. However, I found that this wasn't the panacea I thought it would be, and on screen knobs are now fine - but it's essential you can play and tweak at the same time. It will take you hours and hours - experimenting with low notes, high notes, long slurred notes, short staccato ones - and tutorials are pretty hopeless at this.

The only problem I've ever had with software v old hardware is where you have a joystick, like the vector synths, where with a mouse you can't waggle the stick and play and operate the pitch bend or mod at the same time.

I've got some Korg soft synths that have better quality audio than the originals and the programmes are pretty faithful reproductions.

Back