How do I record the inbuilt tones as MIDI or audio from a XW-P1 keyboard in Pro Tools

muzzar27

Hi I recently purchased a Casio XW-P1 Hybrid Processing Sound Source Keyboard and want to know how to record the inbuilt tones into Pro Tools? I can do MIDI and use the keyboard as a MIDI keyboard to play and record the virtual instruments from within Pro Tools but want to know how to record the keyboards sounds thru the MIDI In/OUT. I have connected the cables into my Pre Sonus interface but it won't record. How do I set the Input Outputs etc. for the keyboard in Pro Tools and what steps do I have to take to record MIDI this way, Instrument track or MIDI? Any help much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi I recently purchased a Casio XW-P1 Hybrid Processing Sound Source Keyboard and want to know how to record the inbuilt tones into Pro Tools? I can do MIDI and use the keyboard as a MIDI keyboard to play and record the virtual instruments from within Pro Tools but want to know how to record the keyboards sounds thru the MIDI In/OUT. I have connected the cables into my Pre Sonus interface but it won't record. How do I set the Input Outputs etc. for the keyboard in Pro Tools and what steps do I have to take to record MIDI this way, Instrument track or MIDI? Any help much appreciated! Thanks!

Short and easy answer, play your keyboard and route the outs back into the interface.

Complex answer. Setup two tracks, one for analog and another for MIDI. Setup MIDI In/Out to your DAW. The analog will capture your performance and sound, the MIDI will capture your performance data in case you need to correct.

Next, if you need to edit your performance, you will need edit the MIDI data and to send to the keyboard. Run a new analog track (or record over the old one) and record the sound again with the data from the DAW driving the keyboard and the interface recording the analog sound.

Read up a little on MIDI as this is a very typical scenario. Taking time to learn this will be useful for a very long time.

thx! Another question

Do i set up a stereo or mono audio track? The MIDI data is coming up on the MIDI track but no sound. I have my headphones plugged into my interface still no sound. I have the I/O rigged up already for my microphone with the interface,how do I rig it up for MIDI? Any help much appreciated!

Short and easy answer, play your keyboard and route the outs back into the interface.

Complex answer. Setup two tracks, one for analog and another for MIDI. Setup MIDI In/Out to your DAW. The analog will capture your performance and sound, the MIDI will capture your performance data in case you need to correct.

Next, if you need to edit your performance, you will need edit the MIDI data and to send to the keyboard. Run a new analog track (or record over the old one) and record the sound again with the data from the DAW driving the keyboard and the interface recording the analog sound.

Read up a little on MIDI as this is a very typical scenario. Taking time to learn this will be useful for a very long time.

For your keyboard outs, run the left and right in the two channels and record in stereo. Most of the sounds from a keyboard are stereo.

Now, for the MIDI, and you're gonna have to do some research, But open all (it is the easiest for now) channels (1-16, should be some all send or something setting), set it to record, make sure your MIDI In is connected to your MIDI Out and vice verse between the interface and the keyboard (it is actually logical, what is going out from one is going in from the other). If you don't see a signal, you will need to read the instructions on your keyboard on how to open that up and to send and receive. Record a few measures until you get MIDI data flowing.

Once you have that working, now you work on getting the recorded MIDI data back to your keyboard. You will have to once again look at your keyboards instructions to set the keyboard up to receive MIDI data (There are program changes and the like, but you can work on that later) When you know the data is arriving back to your keyboard (headphones or speakers), then you know data is be sent and received. When that happens, you record the voices from the keyboard just as if it were being played live, cause it is, just not by human hands. There will be a slight delay, so you will have to line it back up, but you should be able to do it in one nudge or two nudges to the left. (You could set a signal on a measure marker for alignment purposes).

Lots to deal with, but if you get it working, it really adds power to your recording.

DM, you're trying hard to help, but you need to take a step back real quick and make sure that dude digs the very basics.

muzzar - There is never any actual audio running through that MIDI cable. It is a Control signal, which tells some other device what note to play when and how hard. There are some other Control type signals that it'll send, but for your purposes right now this is what you need to understand. There's no sound on that line.

Now, the keyboard itself apparently does make its very own sounds, and apparently you want to hear them. For that, you need to come out of the audio outputs on the keyboard into audio inputs on the interface. Follow DM's advice above.

DM, you're trying hard to help, but you need to take a step back real quick and make sure that dude digs the very basics.

muzzar - There is never any actual audio running through that MIDI cable. It is a Control signal, which tells some other device what note to play when and how hard. There are some other Control type signals that it'll send, but for your purposes right now this is what you need to understand. There's no sound on that line.

Now, the keyboard itself apparently does make its very own sounds, and apparently you want to hear them. For that, you need to come out of the audio outputs on the keyboard into audio inputs on the interface. Follow DM's advice above.

You're right. Thanks for pitching in.

Back