help with Alesis SR-16 drum machine!

floppsybunny

hi, i recently purchased this SR-16 and am having a problem with volume. the demo song plays at a good volume but any of the pads put out only about half volume - likewise with any programmed patterns or sounds i use (user or preset). i have to turn the volume knob to full and even then it's not a strong enough signal through either the main stereo outs or through headphones via the headphone out. (yes, the pads themselves are all routed to the main stereo outs and the pad volumes are all set at maximum). any ideas? did i miss something stupid?

thanks,

floppsybunny.

floppsybunny said:
hi, i recently purchased this SR-16 and am having a problem with volume. the demo song plays at a good volume but any of the pads put out only about half volume - likewise with any programmed patterns or sounds i use (user or preset). i have to turn the volume knob to full and even then it's not a strong enough signal through either the main stereo outs or through headphones via the headphone out. (yes, the pads themselves are all routed to the main stereo outs and the pad volumes are all set at maximum). any ideas? did i miss something stupid?

thanks,

floppsybunny.

Do you have a manual? It will explain how to adjust the volumes of the pads and/or drums sounds. I no longer have an HR-16, but recall that it was quite easy to do...just a few button pushes.

Terry

Somewhere in the drum set-up (or record set-up)is a setting for the dynamic articulation. It's where you can have the pad at a "fixed" setting or soft, med., or hard. The harder you hit the pad the louder it plays...

Press 'Record Setup'.

Scroll thru the menu by pressing the 'Tempo' up or down buttons.

When you get to the option that says 'Velocity' on it, press the up arrow above the 'fill' button until it says 'Velocity Fixed 8'.

Thats one thing you need to check. There's more.

Press the 'stop' button a few times to back your way out of the previous menu.

Press 'drum set'.

Press 'Tempo' up button twice. It should say 'Volume', press the 'up' arrow above the 'fill' button to increase the volume. You have to do this with each drum, start by pressing 'kick', then increase volume. Then press 'snare', increase volume.....

It could be where you're assigning each drum to output to, I can't get into that tonight. If the previous tips didn't help, post again, I'll go further. tomorrow.

perfect - pad velocity was the problem, was set at low fixed velocity for some reason, that's what you get when you buy factory resealed...

thanks guys.

I actually soldered a new battery into mine (PITA) about a year ago.... plus I cleaned up all the pads w/ alcohol.... it reverted back to that setting too... Took me a bit to figure out how to change it...

Back