Fatar TP/10 = Loud Keybed

Shaggy Frigador

Hey guys,

I'm hoping that other TP/10 keybed owners, can chime in and share their experiences/feedback.

I own a Roland RD-100, must be over 15 years and the keyboard was given to me 4 or 5 years ago so I'm not able to tell you what the keys sounded like when it was new but it seems now, that when I play the keys, (keyboard is turned Off), I get a weird "thunking" sound. Not just a couple keys but the whole keybed, black and white keys. When I press down, it sounds like I'm hitting a cardboard box and the key on it's way up has little bounce but seems louder. I know this isn't normal. Everything on it works perfectly and I still easily use it as a midi controller but the key sound when playing is just so loud.

Is it possible that with wear and tear, the felt strips have taken a toll? Possibly rubber parts, etc? I've opened it up and although I'm no piano technician, the felt strips "seem" to be ok. I've also checked other parts of the interior but nothing is broken or out of place. I'm not sure what else in the action mechanism may be creating the issue and the keyboard never leaves the studio so it isn't a "bang 'em up" while traveling kinda thing.

Thank you!

Felts strips must be replaced. This is painstaking job (complete keybed must be disassembled) and I recommend to give the device to Roland’s service.

There were Pratt and Reed keyboards. There were Fatar keyboards. Fatar were the cheaper Italian models - now largely made in Asia.
They were never especially solid. Even new, some models had a little bit of clatter to them.
Re-felting can be a challenge. I might call it 'tedious' more than 'painstaking', in that you could set it up in your lap and do most of it in front of the TV. But it will take some time, certainly.
Anyone can do the keyboard part of it. The Roland tech might be needed for detaching all the Roland bits, however. That's sometimes a mess in itself.

Ponder5

Back